Cubs playoff pitching rotation

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Re: Cubs playoff pitching rotation

Post by jim »

I like Harden in game 1 as well, but I'm going under the assumption that Z has basically been the ace for several years know and may have "earned" the start. I don't know how Z feels, but he throws a no-hitter coming back from the DL and then gets bombed after his grandmother dies against the Cards. So I don't know what to make off all of that, but I tend to think Z is the type of guy that 3 out of 4 times will actually channel his emotions into something positive for a big game. Sure there will be those times where it backfires on him, I guess we will see tonight.

Either way, Harden in game 3 is insanse imo. If you have Z and Harden in games 1 and 2 you can have them both available as a tandem start in game 5 if necessary.

JG1982
Everyday Player

Post by JG1982 »

I would have gone Z, Dempster, Harden, and Lilly

The reason being this: I understand the numbers are bad for teams that lose game 1, but the numbers are exponentially worse for the teams that lose the first TWO games, and it's a real possibility now with no one having any idea what Zambrano will show up tonight..

So, in the scenario I mentioned, you throw your wild card in game 1 when the series is 0-0, then throw your rock at home (Dempster) in game 2 to either take a commanding lead in the series or bring the series back to even...

Now, instead of having a calming presence on the mound in Dempster with the team down 1-0, you have crazy pants Zambrano...and if you think the crowd was on edge last night, if Z struggles early, that place will be VOLATILE

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

I haven't followed the Cubs closely enough to know who should have started Game 1. But I wouldn't make a decision based on home-road splits.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Incidentally, if you need any more proof that baseball players (and the Cubs in particular) are superstitious, read here

http://deadspin.com/5057972/cubs-renoun ... e-game-one

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

jim wrote:Either way, Harden in game 3 is insanse imo. If you have Z and Harden in games 1 and 2 you can have them both available as a tandem start in game 5 if necessary.
That's kind of my beef with the Dempster choice. You can still go to Harden or Z for Game 5, but only on short rest.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

When the Cubs got Harden, wasn't it pretty much the consensus that they got him for the playoffs? They were going to make the playoffs without him, but having him would give them one of the better 1/2's in baseball.

And Dempster starts game 1? Wow.

Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star

Post by Felix The Cat »

I told my cousin (who's a Cubs fan) that if the Cubbies get swept in the 1st round for the second year in a row because of misusing Zambrano, I was going to LMAO. Guess we shall see tonight.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Was there a discussion about this yesterday before the game?

If not, then it's nothing more than Monday morning quarterbacking. If Dempster had been really good yesterday (like he has been most of the year), then this thread wouldn't even exist, and Pinella would look like a genius being 1 game up with Zambrano & Harden yet to pitch.

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

well, sure it's Monday morning quarterbacking, but I think many of us thought this before when the rotation was announced. I had assumed Harden would be their game 1 starter ever since they traded for him.

We just don't talk much Cubs baseball here.

GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer

Post by GatewaySnayke »

I still think they were trying to give Harden extra rest.