The reverse platoon splits of Cole Hamels.

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

The reverse platoon splits of Cole Hamels.

Post by jim »

Lifetime vs LHB: .742
Lifetime vs RHB: .671

Why? I have no answer to this. He looks to me like he should be getting lefties out more efficiently than righties. Is he afraid to work inside? Is there some secret movement to his pitch that I can't detect on TV that gives righties trouble? Fluke?

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Re: The reverser platoon splits of Cole Hamels.

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

jim wrote:Lifetime vs LHB: .742
Lifetime vs RHB: .671

Why? I have no answer to this. He looks to me like he should be getting lefties out more efficiently than righties. Is he afraid to work inside? Is there some secret movement to his pitch that I can't detect on TV that gives righties trouble? Fluke?
I think it will normalize a little given time but lefties will typically have more success against him. My reasoning for this is that he's a fastball-changeup pitcher. His changeup darts down and away to righties so he can get away with missing his location a little better. Against lefties the change is moving down and in right into their wheelhouse.

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

His changeup is his best pitch and it is mainly effective to RH'ers. It's almost the opposite of a RH'ed P who's slider is his best pitch where he's does well against most RH'ers andt struggles against lefties.

StatmanCrothers
Perennial All-Star

Post by StatmanCrothers »

The thumb of his left throwing hand is on the opposite side, so it looks like a right hander.

jim

Post by jim »

UK wrote:His changeup is his best pitch and it is mainly effective to RH'ers. It's almost the opposite of a RH'ed P who's slider is his best pitch where he's does well against most RH'ers andt struggles against lefties.
I knew someone was going to mention this, and I would accept it if his curve was mediocre. But it's not, it should get lefties out. Don't you think?

As far as normalizing I'm not sure, we would need to get the stat experts in here. But he's working on 1775 RH PA and 440 LH. I don't know where we get to that statistically significant region, but I suspect those numbers are there.

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

But his curve still isn't his best pitch, it's prob. his 3rd best pitch.

ilstu24
All-Star

Post by ilstu24 »

Yep. It's the changeup. Look at all other changeup-fastball pitchers. 90% also have the reverse splits.

Glycerin
AA Minor League Player

Post by Glycerin »

UK wrote:His changeup is his best pitch and it is mainly effective to RH'ers. It's almost the opposite of a RH'ed P who's slider is his best pitch where he's does well against most RH'ers andt struggles against lefties.
and he has a higher armslot than a typical lefty

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

True - he's more of an over-the-top lefty like Zito or even Jaime Garcia. Most lefties typically sling the ball, which is why their breaking pitches are so effective.

jim

Re: The reverse platoon splits of Cole Hamels.

Post by jim »

Glycerin wrote:
and he has a higher armslot than a typical lefty
I think you nailed it right here. How much movement does he have on his change compared to Maddux?