Ankiel's trade value

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Rieges
Veteran Player

Ankiel's trade value

Post by Rieges »

I've been a proponent of shopping Ankiel this off-season given his impending free agency after the '09 season and his injury history. Whether you agree that he should be shopped, I'm interested in reading what others' opinions of what his value would be on the trade market. He's a player with perceived upside but it's tempered a bit by his age and the other factors mentioned above. Knowing that, what kind of player(s) or prospect(s) do you think he could command? What are some teams that you think would likely have interest in him? The Yankees, White Sox, and Braves come to mind. Are there any other potential suitors out there? I'm looking forward to hearing some other thoughts on this. Cheers.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: Ankiel's trade value

Post by Fat Strat »

I don't think that he should be traded for many reasons. The best of which is that his value isn't really that high. It's not bad, but his injury, age, and lack of experience make him a questionable trading peice, and questionable trading peices don't bring back the kind of return that we might really need.

A lot of people might point to the Hamilton for Volquez trade as a possible comp. But, really that deal was something of a fluke. First because pithers like Volquez don't get traded very often. Second, because Hamilton is a much better player than Ankiel. Hamilton got traded after a 922 OPS season, his only pro season above A ball. Ankiel has a much more human 860/840 OPS in two seasons. There's a big difference in what you get for 900 OPS hittes and 800 OPS hitters.

Plus, the best part about him being an FA after '09 is that it gives us another full season to find out what he's really capable of AND the type of player that Rasmus will become.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

The bigger difference between Hamilton and Ankiel is service time.

I have no idea what his trade value is. Or how much he'll get in arbitration for that matter.

Rieges
Veteran Player

Post by Rieges »

Fat Strat wrote:I don't think that he should be traded for many reasons. The best of which is that his value isn't really that high. It's not bad, but his injury, age, and lack of experience make him a questionable trading peice, and questionable trading peices don't bring back the kind of return that we might really need.
So you're thinking a couple of "B" prospects at best?

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

I doubt you'd trade him for prospects at all. You'd look for a good infielder that makes some money and is also close to FA from a team that has different surpluses and needs. His value just doesn't approach a good pre-arb player at this point. So you'd have to get someone to overvalue what he brings on paper, because they just have to have him in CF to solidify a playoff berth in 2009 or whatever.

Rieges
Veteran Player

Post by Rieges »

haltz wrote:I doubt you'd trade him for prospects at all. You'd look for someone with a good infielder that makes some money and is also close to FA from a team that has different surpluses and needs. His value just doesn't approach a good pre-arb player at this point. So you'd have to get someone to overvalue what he brings on paper, because they just have to have him in CF to solidify a playoff berth in 2009 or whatever.
That's assuming that you're talking about a GM that's smart enough to understand the value of a good pre-arb player and/or a team that doesn't already have a good pre-arb player blocking another good pre-arb player at the same position(s). Most GMs would follow your line of thinking but there are the Jim Bowdens and Brian Sabeans of the world.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Ankiel's trade value is probably pretty high considering the centerfield position is really at an all-time low. The Cardinals have one top flight prospect, and another very good prospect that plays that position. Ankiel should be traded if the Cardinals can fill one of the infield holes.

Rieges
Veteran Player

Post by Rieges »

Magneto2.0 wrote:Ankiel's trade value is probably pretty high considering the centerfield position is really at an all-time low. The Cardinals have one top flight prospect, and another very good prospect that plays that position. Ankiel should be traded if the Cardinals can fill one of the infield holes.
I can imagine that the Yankees and White Sox, teams that are already contenders that have made it no secret that they want to upgrade CF and aren't afraid to trade prosepcts, would value Ankiel much more than most teams. I mentioned the Braves earlier and could see them considering a deal with Ankiel and Kelly Johnson being the primaries.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

Rieges wrote: I can imagine that the Yankees and White Sox, teams that are already contenders that have made it no secret that they want to upgrade CF and aren't afraid to trade prosepcts, would value Ankiel much more than most teams. I mentioned the Braves earlier and could see them considering a deal with Ankiel and Kelly Johnson being the primaries.
When did the Braves become contenders? ;)

Rieges
Veteran Player

Post by Rieges »

Jmodene wrote:
Rieges wrote: I can imagine that the Yankees and White Sox, teams that are already contenders that have made it no secret that they want to upgrade CF and aren't afraid to trade prosepcts, would value Ankiel much more than most teams. I mentioned the Braves earlier and could see them considering a deal with Ankiel and Kelly Johnson being the primaries.
When did the Braves become contenders? ;)
With Ankiel they would instantly become contenders.