So, the final broadcast of the 2008 World Series --

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Re: So, the final broadcast of the 2008 World Series --

Post by jim »

GatewaySnayke wrote:I agree with the lengths of the games and that the playoffs need to be restructured, but Jim's idea just confused the [expletive] out of me.
My playoff idea? Simple. 5 teams make the playoffs, you start with a 4 team single elimination tourney to see who gets to play the standings leader for a best of 7. So you get rewarded for having the best record because you don't have to play that 2 round single elimination tourney. And that tourney would be fun because it's do or die both rounds. Win or go home.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

jim wrote:
GatewaySnayke wrote:I agree with the lengths of the games and that the playoffs need to be restructured, but Jim's idea just confused the [expletive] out of me.
My playoff idea? Simple. 5 teams make the playoffs, you start with a 4 team single elimination tourney to see who gets to play the standings leader for a best of 7. So you get rewarded for having the best record because you don't have to play that 2 round single elimination tourney. And that tourney would be fun because it's do or die both rounds. Win or go home.
That's a pretty heavy advantage to give the 1st place team though it would be interesting.

jim

Post by jim »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
jim wrote:
That's a pretty heavy advantage to give the 1st place team though it would be interesting.
It's a pretty long season, so a pretty heavy advantage is warranted imo.

I agree with the no travel days and putting games on at the same time if necessary. There is a hidden issue here, the one that really bothers me - and that's the money grab. The money grab is ok when it does not affect the integrity of the game. But when you start spacing games out in a manner that pushes things too deep into bad weather so you can squeeze out a few extra viewers, you've crossed the line imo. Advertisement on the fence is tacky but doesn't really bother me, but when the advertisment is on a roller behind homeplate and it gets stuck and stops the game for 10 minutes ... grrrrr.
3 minutes between innings gives you lots of ad revenue, but how many people have hung in there for 3+ hours to watch?

Bud is a car salesmen, and he's interested in selling you the car. I would like a baseball man, one who puts the integrity of the game first even if it means a small short term sacrifice. The integrity of the game should never be sacrificed, that is a short term view that will have a negative impact down the road.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Do you honestly think these owners care about the long term? Bud's putting a boatload of money in their pockets and they couldn't be happier.

Edit: I would like to punch Bud Selig in the face.

jim

Post by jim »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Do you honestly think these owners care about the long term? Bud's putting a boatload of money in their pockets and they couldn't be happier.

If it required a sacrifice short term, then probably not. I think my ideas really might benefit owners longterm and short.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

jim wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Do you honestly think these owners care about the long term? Bud's putting a boatload of money in their pockets and they couldn't be happier.

If it required a sacrifice short term, then probably not. I think my ideas really might benefit owners longterm and short.
Well, send your ideas in to ESPN and be sure to include a way for it to help Disney and ABC and it will get some airtime. Then, all you need is some sort of crisis to come up and Bud will do whatever ESPN says....you know like making the ASG determine home field advantage.

He's got to be the most reactionary commish of all time.

What's that? The fans didn't like the ASG ending in a tie? They think this game is just for fun? Well, I'll show them. I'll make this exhibition game determine home field advantage for the World Series.

What's that? There were a couple bad calls on home runs down the foul line. The fans don't like it? ESPN thinks instant replay is a good idea? Well, let's get instant replay and furthermore, let's implement it in the middle of the season.

What's that? Steroids? They've been running rampant in MLB clubhouses for over a decade? Congress has held hearings on this? Well, let's pay an ex-Red Sox owner 60 million dollars to put together a list of names and then sweep that list of names under a rug and forget this whole thing ever happened. Long live Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens!!!

BTW, remember Jocketty standing by Ankiel's side when Buster Olney "broke" the story that Ankiel had received HGH just as the Cardinals were threatening the Cubs division lead in 07? I [expletive] hate ESPN and love WJ.

And, remember how the Paul Byrd story "broke" right before the Indians/Red Sox Game 7? And, then Mitchell (who is most definitely in bed with the Red Sox) reported that they had no idea Byrd had ever received HGH and he wasn't on their "list"? What a crock of [expletive]. Anyone that believes that needs to have their head examined.

So.....Bud paid you 60 mil to not be able to figure out that a guy that was paying for HGH with his credit cards and having them shipped to the either clubhouse or his own address was taking HGH? [expletive] twits.

jim

Post by jim »

It's ok, Bud says he "considered the season a success, citing record revenue and attendance ..." While I agree that those are good things, if that's all you look at it's a mistake imo. Nobody watched the WS.

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/286756/140/

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

jim wrote:It's ok, Bud says he "considered the season a success, citing record revenue and attendance ..." While I agree that those are good things, if that's all you look at it's a mistake imo. Nobody watched the WS.

I see where you're coming from, but in my mind, revenue and attendance throughout the season are a far better indicator of the state of the game than how many people watched the World Series, especially considering that the weather didn't cooperate.

jim

Post by jim »

Socnorb11 wrote:
jim wrote:It's ok, Bud says he "considered the season a success, citing record revenue and attendance ..." While I agree that those are good things, if that's all you look at it's a mistake imo. Nobody watched the WS.

I see where you're coming from, but in my mind, revenue and attendance throughout the season are a far better indicator of the state of the game than how many people watched the World Series, especially considering that the weather didn't cooperate.
I just don't want baseball to get too narrow minded. Next year the WS ends Nov 5. I just really hope the series isn't played in conditions that aren't fit to really test the baseball skills of the team. The argument that it's equal for both side doesn't work for me when I see an inch of water on the field everywhere.

I am concerned about the TV ratings, I hope that it's not some warning flag. But you are probably right, people are showing up to the ballparks in record numbers and obviously getting value for their money.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

jim wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

I just don't want baseball to get too narrow minded. Next year the WS ends Nov 5. I just really hope the series isn't played in conditions that aren't fit to really test the baseball skills of the team. The argument that it's equal for both side doesn't work for me when I see an inch of water on the field everywhere.

Don't you think there's just as much of a chance of having rain in September & October as there is in November? I mean, you can't push the World Series back to July or August, hoping to find nothing but sunshine.