Dodgers offer Manny 25m per year

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Michael
GRB Founder

Dodgers offer Manny 25m per year

Post by Michael »

The Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday that the Dodgers' offer is believed to be for either two years at $50 million or three years for $75 million.
Link

<roll eyes>

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: Dodgers offer Manny 25m per year

Post by Socnorb11 »

$50-75 mil won't be enough.

mcgee51taguchi99
Perennial All-Star
Location: Crying/injoyin watching tha Crew in tha Playoffs!!!

Post by mcgee51taguchi99 »

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Post by cpebbles »

Now that Bavasi is out, Colletti is the dumbest GM around. This is a dumb, dumb offer, and I can't see anyone else beating it.

Bo Hart
Perennial All-Star

Post by Bo Hart »

cpebbles wrote:This is a dumb, dumb offer, and I can't see anyone else beating it.
I disagree.

It's not that I don't think they're offering too much, it's just that I think it's a lock that he'll accept a longer offer with more guaranteed money (with a lower average annual salary). From a publicity standpoint, though, this makes the Dodgers looks great, because they can say that they offered Manny a contract that would have made him one of the highest-paid players in the league.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Kyle wrote:
cpebbles wrote:This is a dumb, dumb offer, and I can't see anyone else beating it.
I disagree.

It's not that I don't think they're offering too much, it's just that I think it's a lock that he'll accept a longer offer with more guaranteed money (with a lower average annual salary). From a publicity standpoint, though, this makes the Dodgers looks great, because they can say that they offered Manny a contract that would have made him one of the highest-paid players in the league.
Boras guided weaver away from the 2 year deal the CArds offered with more guaranteed money to Seattle with a one year deal worth more.

Apples and Oranges in the amount of money we're talking about, but the same scenario.

skmsw
Perennial All-Star

Post by skmsw »

Little-known fact:

During his 436 innings in left field with the Dodgers, Manny put up an RZR of .895 -- which would have been good enough for fifth in all of baseball had he had enough innings to qualify. He also made 23 plays outside of his zone during that time -- which, pro-rated up to a season's worth of innings, would have been enough to be second in all of baseball.

In case you're doubting the metric instead of the park effects, the same metrics had Manny at .817 in his 537 innings with the Sox in 08, which would be last in the majors. And at .684 in about 1,000 innings in 2007, a pretty distant last in the majors.

Just an interesting note from someone who's long said that if you correctly account for Fenway Park, and/or look at home/road defensive metrics, Manny is actually, as bad as he sometimes looks, significantly under-rated defensively.

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

I heard 2 years $55 million on the radio this morning putting it at $27.5 million a year.

I also heard they expect Boras to turn it down immediately but that it was possibly just an introductory offer before the real 3-4 year discussion begins.

Maclowery
Child Pot Activist

Post by Maclowery »

He'll get 9 figures. I'm tellin ya.

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Post by cpebbles »

skmsw wrote:Just an interesting note from someone who's long said that if you correctly account for Fenway Park, and/or look at home/road defensive metrics, Manny is actually, as bad as he sometimes looks, significantly under-rated defensively.
And MGL has long said that if you correctly account for Fenway, or use home/road defensive metrics, Manny goes from cartoonishly bad to just one of the worst two or three defensive outfielders in the game.