Remind me why we're not in on Peavy or Sheets.

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
picasso
All-Star

Remind me why we're not in on Peavy or Sheets.

Post by picasso »

If Fuentes appears beyond our reach why aren't these SP getting more play? I'm sure the Cards are gun-shy with potential arm aggravated pitchers.

But the Cubs are rumored back in the mix for Peavy with a potential Marquis giveaway to Colorado. Offering second tier retread prospects like Pie and Cedeno along with Vitters and Marshall. Why don't we beat this offer? The Cardinals are on his acceptable trade list.

Also, they'd offer 2 yr 18 mil to Fuentes but not a similar offer to Sheets? Maybe 3/27?

Maybe Mo is playing it close to the vest, but pick up one of these two pitchers, add a loogy, I'd call it a good off-season.

UK
Perennial All-Star

Re: Remind me why we're not in on Peavy or Sheets.

Post by UK »

Derosa would likely need to be included or traded to acquire another prospect to be included. Derosa, Vitters, and Marshall is a substantial initial offering for Peavy and prob. wasn't enough to initially get the deal done. That would appear to be a difficult offer for STL to match (minus the top prospect).

As far as Sheets, I would agree.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

I'm not really sure. Earlier when we discussed a Peavy deal, I was pretty against it but I assumed Rasmus would have to be part of the package. A bunch of B prospects, I wouldn't care about parting with at all for a pitcher of his caliber. Sheets? No idea either, but my guess is that Mo doesn't want to make the first offer and Sheets won't go anywhere without him knowing and either bidding or passing.

If Lowe goes to the Mets for less than we gave Lohse, I don't know whether I'll laugh or cry. Cry, probably. (yes, I think he'll get more than that)

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

UK wrote:Derosa would likely need to be included or traded to acquire another prospect to be included. Derosa, Vitters, and Marshall is a substantial initial offering for Peavy and prob. wasn't enough to initially get the deal done. That would appear to be a difficult offer for STL to match (minus the top prospect).
San Diego wants DeRosa, or is this part of a three-team thing? I hadn't head that package.

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

Levine is saying that SD wants Derosa in the deal, which for the Cubs would increase the need for a RF'er and put Fontenot at 2B.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

If Lowe goes to the Mets for less than we gave Lohse, I don't know whether I'll laugh or cry. Cry, probably. (yes, I think he'll get more than that)
He should. If he doesn't, then I don't know anyone who could have predicted that before the offseason started. I don't say that to justify the Lohse deal, but it's just amazing how far the market has apparently dropped.

I still think that patience is the right move right now. Prices are only going to drop. I'm still holding out for Sheets at $11 million for one year.

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

I'm still holing out.
I'll bet you are.

Has STL been linked to any starters recently? To me, that is their biggest need right now.

picasso
All-Star

Post by picasso »

UK wrote:Derosa would likely need to be included or traded to acquire another prospect to be included. Derosa, Vitters, and Marshall is a substantial initial offering for Peavy and prob. wasn't enough to initially get the deal done. That would appear to be a difficult offer for STL to match (minus the top prospect).

As far as Sheets, I would agree.
It just seems to me that DeRosa is a league average 2B paid fairly, Marshall is a potential #3 SP and Vitters is a jewel in the rough A ball hitter who could be great or fade. I just don't see that as a tough match unless Peavy is a definite injury waiting to happen.

Anderson, Motte, Jay or Jones, Boggs, Schu seems above the Cubs offer. We have a lot of ML depth to trade from right now. Losing any of these players would not hurt us next season (if we acquired Peavy).

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

I think you are selling DeRosa a little short there. Since 2006 he's been a 3-4 win 2B. But he's making $5.5M next year and then is a FA so it's a little weird to me that San Diego wants him in this deal.

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Post by cpebbles »

It'd be hard to match that exact trade package, but San Diego isn't really in a position to have needs that specific, and it wouldn't be hard for many teams to put together a package comparable in overall value. That said, Mozeliak said it wasn't on the table and refused to give any specifics as to why, which indicated to me that they were insisting on Rasmus and likely another of our top prospects.