Fuentes to Angels

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Re: Fuentes to Angels

Post by cpebbles »

I don't care about the budget. I acknowledge that one exists, and I care about having a quality team.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

cpebbles wrote:I don't care about the budget. I acknowledge that one exists, and I care about having a quality team.
bingo

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

8 Million? Yikes.

Either we're going to take a chance on Hoffman or the team is going to trust Perez/Motte. Either way, glad we didn't spend that much money on a LRP when we should spend it on an SP.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I care about the budget insomuch as, like it or not, we have one. Every (million) dollar we spend on Player X is a (million) dollar we can't spend on other needs. Yeah, it's not my money so I shouldn't care. But it's the reality for most fans that we have to evaluate cost as well as need.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

heyzeus wrote:I care about the budget insomuch as, like it or not, we have one. Every (million) dollar we spend on Player X is a (million) dollar we can't spend on other needs. Yeah, it's not my money so I shouldn't care. But it's the reality for most fans that we have to evaluate cost as well as need.
++

And there's much better usage of the money we have than on a closer who lost his job twice in the last two seasons, and will cost a first round draft pick.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Like I said, I'm not convinced we're actually going to use that money to improve elsewhere.

And I really don't understand getting hung up on that draft pick when there's a good chance we'll mitch and boan about that if it turns out to be another Kozma.

omaha_red
Hall Of Famer

Post by omaha_red »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Like I said, I'm not convinced we're actually going to use that money to improve elsewhere.

And I really don't understand getting hung up on that draft pick when there's a good chance we'll mitch and boan about that if it turns out to be another Kozma.
++

i agree.. it'd be one thing if they did go out and spend that money wisely to improve
the team.. but they won't.. they'll get a few scraps to throw out there and call it a day..
just like they have the last 5 or 6 winters.. but hey.. at least our budget will be okay..

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Like I said, I'm not convinced we're actually going to use that money to improve elsewhere.

The Cardinals have drafted great lately, I'm not worried about who they pick. I trust them in that department. We probably have the most improved system in the majors over the last few seasons with this staff in place

Secondly, the Cardinals will sign someone. They all but have to. They need another starter.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:I guess I'm mildly disappointed.

I'm not convinced we'll sign anyone else as significant as Fuentes. I don't especially care about the years or the money.
They won't. The big money move this offseason was Lohse. That's not a bad thing if the other major alternative they were seeking was someone like Fuentes. I never understood that one.

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Post by cpebbles »

That's just willfully ignoring the economic realities of MLB. Whether or not they actually do end up making a move with this money that improves the team more than Fuentes would, signing Fuentes takes that chance to zero, and this team plus Fuentes is not a playoff-caliber team.

And you can complain about the quality of the moves that have been made over the past few offseasons (God knows I have), but considering that the payroll has held steady you can't really support an argument that they've been going back on false promises with regards to the payroll. Seriously, look back on all of the middling players signed to big contracts in the past few seasons that you've complained about the Cardinals not acquiring. How many of them aren't readily available to anyone now? For some people to be satisfied, the Cardinals would be pushing a $200 million payroll next year (And likely smuggling heroin on the side to support the payroll), and they'd still be an 85 win team, given the quality of players that they are constantly wanting to trump all bidders on.