Baseball History

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Today in History...

Post by Radbird »

Cardinals stuff kind of sucks today, just like the 2009 version (alhough the Campanella thing is really cool). :?

Today in Cardinals history -
1954 Dodger catcher Roy Campanella steals home in the 12th in a 7-5 victory over the Cardinals.

1983 Steve 'Lefty' Carlton of the Phillies strikes out Cardinals' outfielder Lonnie Smith for his 3,522nd career strikeout to pass Nolan Ryan as the all-time strikeout leader.

2007 With the Yankees 10-3 victory over the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field, Joe Torre wins his 2,000th game as a manager. The former Braves (257), Mets (286) and Cardinals (351) skipper becomes the first person in big league history to have to reached the milestone and also have at least 2,000 hits as a player.

Today in Baseball history (click link for a complete list) -
1938 In a game against the Red Sox, Indians' pitcher Johnny Allen storms off the mound and doesn't return when he is ordered by ump Bill McGowan to cut off his distracting dangling sweatshirt sleeve. The shirt ends up in the Hall of Fame but the Lenoir, North Carolina native doesn't.

1989 For the first time in major league history, the same game is played partly outdoors and partly indoors as the Blue Jays beat the Brewers, 4-2 in a contest which features the closing of the SkyDome's retractable roof in the fifth inning due to inclement weather.

1998 Dave Burba becomes the first Cleveland pitcher to homer in 26 years in a 6-1 victory over the Reds at Cinergy Field. Ironically, the right-hander was scheduled to be the Opening Day pitcher for Cincinnati but was traded to Cleveland the day before for Sean Casey.

2006 With just 10 sacrifice flies during their first 58 games, the Rockies tie a major league with five sacrifice flies during their 16-9 victory over the Pirates at Coors Field. The Mariners established the mark in 1988.

2007 With two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning at Network Associates Coliseum, Shannon Stewart lines a single to right field to break up Curt Schilling's no-hitter. Thanks to a first inning home run by David Ortiz, the Red Sox beat the A's,1-0.

2008 Johnny Damon goes 6-for-6, including a walk-off single which gives New York a wild 12-11 comeback victory over the Royals. The outfielder becomes the first Bronx Bomber, and only the second player, to collect six hits at the Yankee Stadium.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

Pretty sparse for the Cards for June 8. Maybe they'll make a little history today, hopefully not 1950 Browns style.

Today in Cardinals history -
2007 With a 3-0 victory over Detroit at Comerica Park, the Mets begin an 18-game span which they will become the first team in baseball history to play six consecutive series against six different clubs which made the playoffs the previous season. New York will compile an 8-10 record during the stretch playing against the Tigers, Dodgers, Yankees, Twins, A's, and the Cardinals.

Today in Baseball history (click link for a complete list) -
1950 After beating the Browns 20-4 with 23 hits yesterday at Fenway Park, the Red Sox set the major-league record for runs scored by one team as they maul the St. Louis again, 29-4. Boston’s two day totals set consecutive games records for hits and runs scored set records.

1955 After only eight games and 13 innings of work, the Dodgers option rookie left-handed pitcher Tom Lasorda to Montreal to make room for a bonus baby who is also a southpaw. Sandy Koufax, who had injured his ankle, comes off the 30-day disabled list.

1961 Becoming the first major league team to accomplish the feat, Eddie Mathews, Hank Aaron, Joe Adcock and Frank Thomas hit four consecutive home runs for the Braves in the seventh inning off Reds' pitchers Jim Maloney (2) and Marshall Bridges (2) at Crosley Field. Despite the home run barrage which also included another by Mathews and one by Warren Spahn, Cincinnati still manages to win the game, 10-8.

1965 In the first major league free-agent draft of students and sandlot players, the A's select Arizona star Rick Monday making him the first player ever to be drafted.

1968 Don Drysdale's scoreless streak ends at a record 58 2/3 consecutive innings as Phillies' Tony Taylor is driven in by Howie Bedell's sacrifice fly in the fifth inning. It will be Bedell's only RBI for the season.

1986 In the longest nine inning game in American League history, the Orioles beat the Yankees 18-9 in four hours and sixteen minutes.

2007 In the third inning of a 10-3 loss to Boston at Chase Field, a surprised Alberto Callaspo is tagged by Julio Lugo as he dusts off dust off his uniform taking a lead from second after Chris Snyder’s base hit. The Diamondbacks’ third baseman is the victim of the hidden ball trick as he doesn’t realize the Red Sox shortstop had never returned the ball to the pitcher.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

2002 A 4 1/2 -hour closed-casket public viewing is held at Busch Stadium for Jack Buck, the 77-year-old Hall of Fame broadcaster, who died from complications following lung surgery. The bronze statue depicting him at the microphone outside the stadium is stuffed with cards, stuffed animals, photographs and other memorabilia in memory of the KMOX legend.

Other stuff on June 20 happened, but wanted to highlight Jack.

1973 In a 7-5 loss to Cincinnati, Giants right fielder Bobby Bonds hits his 22nd career leadoff homer. The first inning shot at Candlestick Park off Don Gullett breaks Lou Brock's record for homers leading off a game.

2001 Hitting his 38th homer of the season, Barry Bonds breaks the major league mark established by Reggie Jackson (1969) and Mark McGwire (1998) for home runs hit before the All-Star game. The Giants' left fielder still has 17 games to add to the record.

2004 On Father's Day with his dad present, Ken Griffey, Jr. nails a 6th inning fastball of Cardinal hurler Matt Morris over the right field wall at Busch Stadium for his 500th career home run. The Reds' center fielder brcomes the 20th major leaguer and the sixth youngest (34) to reach the milestone.

2007 Connecting on fifth inning hanging breaking ball thrown by Cubs' hurler Jason Marquis, Sammy Sosa becomes the fifth player major leaguer to hit 600 career home runs. The Rangers' designated hitter, who missed the entire season last year, joins Hank Aaron (755), Barry Bonds (748), Babe Ruth (714) and Willie Mays (660) in reaching the milestone.

The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.

Post by The Third Man »

Be nice to honor Jack with a win.

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

2006—Anthony Reyes pitched a one-hitter in just his fourth major league start, but St. Louis fell to the Chicago White Sox 1-0. Jim Thome homered in the seventh inning for Chicago’s only hit.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

Another sad anniversary. It's been 7 years and is still hard to believe.

2002 Commissioner Bud Selig decides to postpone the scheduled game between St. Louis and the Cubs when pitcher Darryl Kile is found dead in his Chicago hotel room. The 33-year old Cardinal pitcher is found dead in his Chicago hotel room apparently dying from natural causes as no signs of forced entry or foul play are found.

Other June 22 stuff:

1925 Max Carey gets two hits in one inning twice (1st & 8th) as the Pirates beat the Cardinals, 24-6.

1930 Babe Ruth ties a major league record by hitting five homers in two games and six homers in three games. The Yankee outfielder hit three homers in the second game of the doubleheader yesterday, two homers in today's opener and one more in the nightcap.

1994 Hitting his 31st home run of the season, Ken Griffey Jr. breaks Babe Ruth's record for most homers before July 1. Although the Yankee slugger needed only 63 games to reach 30 homers in 1928 and 68 games in 1930, Junior accomplishes the feat in the Mariners' 70th game of the season.
2006 Opposing a pitcher who was born in the year before he began in major league career, Roger Clemens makes his much-hyped season debut against the Twins. The 'Rocket', starting his 23-year major league season, is bested by Francisco Liriano, a 22-year-old pitching sensation from the Dominican Republic, as Minnesota beats the Astros, 4-2.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

June 23 - big day for pitchers in the batter's box:

1971 Rick Wise hits two home runs and drives in three runs as he faces only 28 batters and no-hits the Reds, 4-0 on 95 pitches. The Phillies' hurler will again hit two home runs in same game this season on August 28th

1973 For the fourth consecutive game that he pitches in the month of June, Phillies' hurler Ken Brett hits a home run

2008 In an inter-league contest against the Mets at Shea Stadium, Mariners' right-hander Felix Hernandez becomes the first pitcher in the 31-year history of the franchise to hit a home run. The homer, which comes off fellow Venezuela ace Johan Santana, is also the first grand slam hit by a American League pitcher since Steve Dunning of the Indians homered off A’s moundsman Diego Segui in 1971

And I have to mention this, since I've been there...

1984 The Roger Maris Museum opens in the West Acres Shopping Center located in Fargo, North Dakota. Nearly 2,000 visitors are attracted to the 72-foot showcase which features memorabilia from the slugger’s 12-year big league career, including a ticket stub from the 162nd game of the 1961 season.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Radbird wrote:1984 The Roger Maris Museum opens in the West Acres Shopping Center located in Fargo, North Dakota. Nearly 2,000 visitors are attracted to the 72-foot showcase which features memorabilia from the slugger’s 12-year big league career, including a ticket stub from the 162nd game of the 1961 season.
Have you been there recently? Because it is way cooler than it used to be.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

Leroy wrote:
Radbird wrote:1984 The Roger Maris Museum opens in the West Acres Shopping Center located in Fargo, North Dakota. Nearly 2,000 visitors are attracted to the 72-foot showcase which features memorabilia from the slugger’s 12-year big league career, including a ticket stub from the 162nd game of the 1961 season.
Have you been there recently? Because it is way cooler than it used to be.
Not in awhile. It was some display windows and a little mini-theater when I was there - probably 7 or 8 years ago.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I just looked at the site, and I think you might be post-upgrade. It used to be very simple. Just some stuff hanging on the wall, and maybe a couple of window displays.