Post Game Thread 6/23

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Re: Post Game Thread 6/23

Post by docellis »

In his previous 10 starts, Piñeiro's only wins were shutouts, and before Tuesday he had yet to win in June despite a 3.44 ERA.

Also interesting, "Right fielder Ryan Ludwick didn't touch the ball. Neither did either Cardinals' left fielder" and is this right? "outfield goes 0-11"?

(I didn't get to see the game)

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

IIRC, the OF did take the collar on the evening.

The thing about Pineiro's ground balls last night wasn't just that everyone was hitting them on the ground, they were all lazy ground balls--i.e., not sharp one or two hoppers to short. They went through a clip during the post-game show, and I think 90% of those ground balls made their first bounce within 15' of the plate. Even with the hits he gave up--I think the only ball that was squared-up all night was Reed's line drive single in the 9th.

And he did it through a rain delay. Nice game, even coming against a bad lineup.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

Also, the Cardinals are now the PECOTA projected champions of the central division! For I believe the first time this season. Everyone spray O'Doull's on each other.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Popeye_Card wrote:Also, the Cardinals are now the PECOTA projected champions of the central division! For I believe the first time this season. Everyone spray O'Doull's on each other.
If I wasn't busy using my sig to harp on the Jocketty/Luhnow split 2 years after the fact, I'd sig that.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

JL21 wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:Also, the Cardinals are now the PECOTA projected champions of the central division! For I believe the first time this season. Everyone spray O'Doull's on each other.
If I wasn't busy using my sig to harp on the Jocketty/Luhnow split 2 years after the fact, I'd sig that.
Speaking of which, and maybe this isn't the right place to ask this, but at what point does Luhnow end up on the hot seat?

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

BW23 wrote:
JL21 wrote:
Speaking of which, and maybe this isn't the right place to ask this, but at what point does Luhnow end up on the hot seat?
If we get more responses, I'll break this stuff out into a new thread. I'd say he's safe for as long as DeWitt's here.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

BW23 wrote:
JL21 wrote:
So far he's given us what, Rasmus? Wallace is about the only other high-ceiling guy in the pipeline. The old system under Jocketty may not have been much, but it at least gave us (and others) Drew, Ankiel, Kennedy, Polanco, Haren, Pujols, Molina, etc. At least solid major leaguers.

EDIT: Maybe I'm spoiled by also following the Blues closely, who are racking up top-flight prospects like it ain't no thang. Given, they've drafted high a couple times in the past couple years, but their late 1st round and 2nd round picks have been awesome.
Last edited by Popeye_Card on June 24 09, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

I think you're right. I certainly didn't disagree that the Cards needed to do something different with regards to the minor league development. I'm just disappointed so far in what's been done as far as with Luhnow running most of it....outside of Rasmus (and you highlight that one perfectly).

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

Popeye_Card wrote:
BW23 wrote:
JL21 wrote:
So far he's given us what, Rasmus? Wallace is about the only other high-ceiling guy in the pipeline. The old system under Jocketty may not have been much, but it at least gave us (and others) Drew, Ankiel, Kennedy, Polanco, Haren, Pujols, Molina, etc. At least solid major leaguers.
That's my viewpoint as well. And Wallace wasn't that hard to project as a hitter. Sadly, I'm not sure he'll ever be a fit for the Cards. I just don't see him sticking at 3B.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Popeye_Card wrote:So far he's given us what, Rasmus?
See my sig.