It's a long shot, but...

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
GoCards1028
Perennial All-Star

It's a long shot, but...

Post by GoCards1028 »

We play 4 games in Atlanta this weekend. That's a HUGE opportunity for us to make up ground Iimmediately in the wild card. If we can win 3/4 or even sweep them there, we're RIGHT back in the race. Philadelphia will likely overtake Atlanta in the NL East if we were to do this, and right now we're 5.5 back of Atlanta (If we win against MIL today). If we can sweep this Milwaukee series, we could find ourselves very much in the wild card race not by the end of this month, but by the end of the week.

I refuse to give up. We have a shot to get hot and I think if our team starts playing with a sense of urgency, we can do it.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Re: It's a long shot, but...

Post by jim »

I agree, pick up a game every 4 and we are in. Coming in to play on Sept 6, 1964 the Cardinals were 8.5 back. They went on to beat the Yankees in the World Series.

Too early to give up. Of course they are long odds, but it's not impossible. If you give up all hope then you just haven't been watching baseball long enough. It's a weird game, and weird things happen all of the time.

Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star

Post by Felix The Cat »

We're due for a hot streak.

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

GoCards1028 wrote:I refuse to give up. We have a shot to get hot and I think if our team starts playing with a sense of urgency, we can do it.
Don't you realize that giving up is our only chance of getting hot. We need to start playing like we're mathematically eliminated.

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

If the Padres can collapse, why couldn't other certain teams?....we can also bunch up the W's with our pitching.

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

If the Cardinals managed to get into the postseason now, it would be even more of a miracle than '06. And the current team (minus the starting pitchers' performance) is far less talented than that team.

Can it happen? Sure. But I wouldn't bet on it.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

I wouldn't bet on it either, but that doesn't have anything to do with whether I think it can't happen. I wait all year for the season and I'm not about to give up at the first sign of trouble.

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

Wildcard is typically more difficult to make up ground when you're competing with more than one team. You need them all to slump while you make your charge. 5-1/2 out in the wildcard, when there are 3 teams ahead of you, isn't much easier than 7 back in the division race.

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

Cronos69 wrote:If the Cardinals managed to get into the postseason now, it would be even more of a miracle than '06. And the current team (minus the starting pitchers' performance) is far less talented than that team.

Can it happen? Sure. But I wouldn't bet on it.
i am with you thinking that it is a longshot, but i do think this team has the real potential to win because of that starting pitcher talent. Our lineup is inferior in every way to 2006, but our starting pitching is a lot stronger. If the starting pitching goes on a run we could do it, I am just not that optimistic.

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

Richie Allen wrote:Wildcard is typically more difficult to make up ground when you're competing with more than one team. You need them all to slump while you make your charge. 5-1/2 out in the wildcard, when there are 3 teams ahead of you, isn't much easier than 7 back in the division race.
does it help the optimism if there are only 2 teams in front of us for the WC and we have games in hand?

Doesnt do that much for my optimism.