GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 21 19, 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

When was the last time you felt this bad about a Cardinals team?
2007 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
2008 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Other 70%  70%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 23
PostPosted: May 3 16, 10:21 am 
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

wart57 wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
jim wrote:
Yeah, players definitely take better care of themselves. Probably more milk than booze than previous generations, but I have no doubt they are finding ways to feel the need for repentance on Sunday morning. Superstition and baseball go hand in hand, and even if they don't really believe or practice if they think going and listening to a preacher could maybe possibly get them a favor at some point, they are going.

Whoa, whoa....wait a minute, are you actually saying you think players think God keeps them from going into slumps or helps them break out of them so they listen to some guy preach on Sunday mornings?

This has to be one of the sarcastic jim posts doesn't it!?!?

Not everyone is a cynical atheist.....

I know deep down that not going to church on Sunday is not going to have any effect on the outcome of a sporting event, but it can't hurt....

Don't get me wrong - I don't think every one of those guys are saying a little prayer are doing it for any other reason than selfishness. Nothing to do with really being believers.

PostPosted: May 3 16, 10:22 am 
just can't quit you.

jim wrote:
I'm going to guess every single team has some spiritual guidance. Baseball players are typically very conservative in nature, add to it the large population of Latin Americans which tend to be extremely socially conservative and religious, and it's only natural.

I agree that that senior members of the team like Holliday set the tone. No question about that, I'm sure there are young players that look up to that leadership and do some following.

I think this religious stuff around the Cardinals as an issue is just a bunch of nothing.

I think it is an issue for certain members of this forum, but not the team itself.

PostPosted: May 3 16, 10:24 am 
Hall Of Famer

wart57 wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
jim wrote:
Yeah, players definitely take better care of themselves. Probably more milk than booze than previous generations, but I have no doubt they are finding ways to feel the need for repentance on Sunday morning. Superstition and baseball go hand in hand, and even if they don't really believe or practice if they think going and listening to a preacher could maybe possibly get them a favor at some point, they are going.

Whoa, whoa....wait a minute, are you actually saying you think players think God keeps them from going into slumps or helps them break out of them so they listen to some guy preach on Sunday mornings?

I know deep down that not going to church on Sunday is not going to have any effect on the outcome of a sporting event, but it can't hurt....

What makes you think I'm an atheist...and a cynical one at that? That's a pretty offensive post if you ask me.

PostPosted: May 3 16, 10:25 am 
'Burb Boy

wart57 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
I think it would be an easy thing to do for Mike to give more PT who share his religious beliefs/zeal, and equally hard to prove (legally) that he's denying time to those who don't. I'm not sure it's actually happening.

That said, I don't think I'd love playing in such a Christian clubhouse.

I always find these sorts of comments amazing. If someone said they would not be comfortable working for a Jewish company, or Muslim company I think they would they would be called out on it for being a bigot

Then find it amazing. I wouldn't want to work anywhere where religion is so pervasive. Feel free to call me a bigot now, anyone.

PostPosted: May 3 16, 10:27 am 
just can't quit you.

cardinalkarp wrote:
wart57 wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
jim wrote:

What makes you think I'm an atheist...and a cynical one at that? That's a pretty offensive post if you ask me.

Wow, sorry, that was kind of rude, it didn't necessarily mean you, but it is easy to think I did. again, sorry.

Last edited by wart57 on May 3 16, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 3 16, 10:29 am 
just can't quit you.

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
wart57 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
I think it would be an easy thing to do for Mike to give more PT who share his religious beliefs/zeal, and equally hard to prove (legally) that he's denying time to those who don't. I'm not sure it's actually happening.

I always find these sorts of comments amazing. If someone said they would not be comfortable working for a Jewish company, or Muslim company I think they would they would be called out on it for being a bigot

Then find it amazing. I wouldn't want to work anywhere where religion is so pervasive. Feel free to call me a bigot now, anyone.

If you are working for a company who is constantly pushing you towards a religion, then yes, you can feel uncomfortable, I just can't imagine that is the case with the Cardinals, if it is, it is unprofessional and needs to stop.

PostPosted: May 3 16, 10:31 am 
Hall Of Famer

wart57 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:

I've been in that situation myself and it's not the greatest. I didn't have a problem with anyone and they were just being themselves, but my boss was a conservative Christian who often hired the same and you'd have the odd religious discussion pop up. Political discussions too, with people disparaging things you agree with. I didn't engage on it, but it gets old having to listen to it and you worry about getting the conversion speech which has happened to me a few times. Only thing I would have liked is for people to not simply presume everyone agrees with what they have to say.

PostPosted: May 3 16, 10:38 am 
just can't quit you.

ghostrunner wrote:
wart57 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:

I've been in that situation myself and it's not the greatest. I didn't have a problem with anyone and they were just being themselves, but my boss was a conservative Christian who often hired the same and you'd have the odd religious discussion pop up. Political discussions too, with people disparaging things you agree with. I didn't engage on it, but it gets old having to listen to it and you worry about getting the conversion speech which has happened to me a few times. Only thing I would have liked is for people to not simply presume everyone agrees with what they have to say.

I had issues when I was younger with getting Sunday mornings off so I could go to church. I had to put in special requests to either have Saturday Evening or Sunday morning off so I could go to church, and was pressured quite a few times to drop the request because they needed me to work, and was told by management my beliefs were archaic and should not be requested.

PostPosted: May 3 16, 10:42 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

hey Wart - do you realize the guy they had preaching has been kicked out of the mega church he founded for a variety of improprieties? It's not like they had Pope Francis etc coming to preach.

It's akin to when the players don't have time to see the latest movies during spring training, so the team arranges to have a special showing of "Crash" [someone insert terrible current movie in here] for their convenience

PostPosted: May 3 16, 10:47 am 
just can't quit you.

Freed Roger wrote:
hey Wart - do you realize the guy they had preaching has been kicked out of the mega church he founded for a variety of improprieties? It's not like they had Pope Francis etc coming to preach.

It's akin to when the players don't have time to see the latest movies during spring training, so the team arranges to have a special showing of "Crash" [someone insert terrible current movie in here] for their convenience

Yes, I heard, and again, unless it was mandatory, what is the problem? I would have a big problem with them making a meeting like this mandatory. If you are 'peer pressured' in to it, that is way different, because you still have a choice. Did the Cards pay for this guy to come? If so, they need to look in to that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next