GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 21 19, 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

When was the last time you felt this bad about a Cardinals team?
2007 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
2008 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Other 70%  70%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 23
PostPosted: May 3 16, 10:51 am 
'Burb Boy

wart57 wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
hey Wart - do you realize the guy they had preaching has been kicked out of the mega church he founded for a variety of improprieties? It's not like they had Pope Francis etc coming to preach.

It's akin to when the players don't have time to see the latest movies during spring training, so the team arranges to have a special showing of "Crash" [someone insert terrible current movie in here] for their convenience

Yes, I heard, and again, unless it was mandatory, what is the problem? I would have a big problem with them making a meeting like this mandatory. If you are 'peer pressured' in to it, that is way different, because you still have a choice. Did the Cards pay for this guy to come? If so, they need to look in to that.

So... and I'm not saying this is the case because I don't know for sure it is... but if you felt the only way you could get ABs was to attend this sermon, even if it's not officially team sanctioned, then that's ok?

PostPosted: May 3 16, 11:01 am 
just can't quit you.

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
wart57 wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
hey Wart - do you realize the guy they had preaching has been kicked out of the mega church he founded for a variety of improprieties? It's not like they had Pope Francis etc coming to preach.

It's akin to when the players don't have time to see the latest movies during spring training, so the team arranges to have a special showing of "Crash" [someone insert terrible current movie in here] for their convenience

Yes, I heard, and again, unless it was mandatory, what is the problem? I would have a big problem with them making a meeting like this mandatory. If you are 'peer pressured' in to it, that is way different, because you still have a choice. Did the Cards pay for this guy to come? If so, they need to look in to that.

So... and I'm not saying this is the case because I don't know for sure it is... but if you felt the only way you could get ABs was to attend this sermon, even if it's not officially team sanctioned, then that's ok?

I did not say that, I said the opposite actually. Matheny is not a peer. He is the manger. Do Matt Holliday or Adam Wainright have anything to do with who get's at bats? They are the peers. And we don't even know if they pressured anyone, that is a big assumption.

I just read up on this pastor, he was not removed from his post until after this prayer meeting we are talking about took place. He was still the founding pastor when he talked to the team and he was the acting team chaplain at the time it seems.

Last edited by wart57 on May 3 16, 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: May 3 16, 11:02 am 
Hall Of Famer

wart57 wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
wart57 wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
jim wrote:
Yeah, players definitely take better care of themselves. Probably more milk than booze than previous generations, but I have no doubt they are finding ways to feel the need for repentance on Sunday morning. Superstition and baseball go hand in hand, and even if they don't really believe or practice if they think going and listening to a preacher could maybe possibly get them a favor at some point, they are going.

Whoa, whoa....wait a minute, are you actually saying you think players think God keeps them from going into slumps or helps them break out of them so they listen to some guy preach on Sunday mornings?

This has to be one of the sarcastic jim posts doesn't it!?!?

Not everyone is a cynical atheist.....

I know deep down that not going to church on Sunday is not going to have any effect on the outcome of a sporting event, but it can't hurt....

What makes you think I'm an atheist...and a cynical one at that? That's a pretty offensive post if you ask me.

Wow, sorry, that was kind of rude, it didn't necessarily mean you, but it is easy to think I did. again, sorry.

No worries, apology accepted.

PostPosted: May 3 16, 11:26 am 
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Freed Roger wrote:

Just asking, I don't know. This guy got kicked out of that mega church for this and that, did the Cardinals know that he did this and that when they asked him to come preach?

PostPosted: May 3 16, 11:29 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

jim wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:

Just asking, I don't know. This guy got kicked out of that mega church for this and that, did the Cardinals know that he did this and that when they asked him to come preach?

I assumed they did not know any of this and that, but not certain. Hard to imagine they did know about this or that.

And FTR, I don't care they do this and that, and when they knew the preacher did this or that- it's not a big deal. if the team peer pressure was of some other bent - and Holliday Waino (or whoever is leading the team)mistakenly had them going to the wrong strip club instead of a good one, then this and that's embarrassing, but not the end of the world either.

PostPosted: June 7 17, 8:09 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Time for the annual bump, though this time we might actually be crap.

PostPosted: June 7 17, 8:10 pm 
The Last Word

Wow. This thread was started in 2011? Fascinating.

Thanks for the bump, obucard.

PostPosted: June 7 17, 8:24 pm 
Same Ole

Socnorb11 wrote:
Wow. This thread was started in 2011? Fascinating.

Thanks for the bump, obucard.

Guess what? This time they're done.

PostPosted: June 9 17, 8:09 am 
Everday Unicorn

We really mean it this time.

PostPosted: June 9 17, 8:13 am 
99% conan clips

heyzeus wrote:
We really mean it this time.

the sequel's movie tagline

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next