Braun?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Re: Braun?

Post by cpebbles »

Felix The Cat wrote:But if what the drug collector did was according to protocol (as he so claims), on what grounds did the arbitrator rule in favor of Braun? There's got to be more to this story.
MLB had their own (stupid) protocol. He followed the protocols of the testing lab.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Felix The Cat wrote:But if what the drug collector did was according to protocol (as he so claims), on what grounds did the arbitrator rule in favor of Braun? There's got to be more to this story.
Amended protocol through congressional hearings and supreme court rulings. There's nothing more important than steroids in baseball.

Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star

Post by Felix The Cat »

cpebbles wrote:
MLB had their own (stupid) protocol. He followed the protocols of the testing lab.
Aha, makes sense. Thanks.

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

Appears that his getting off angers Cardinal fans the most. I looked around a bit on this map and couldn't find any state higher than the 55% of people from MO that are bothered by the Braun decision.
Do You Believe Ryan Braun Used Performance-Enhancing Drugs?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

To the Grantland article ( and arguing that PEDs are a Libertarian issue) what about fairness? Some guy doesn't want to take the health risks associated with the various PEDs? Is he not at a competitive disadvantage? I think it's a crap argument.

As far as the Pee Collector goes, I've already posted the court ruling- in this thread- in favor of a guy that I work with that has everything to do with procedure and nothing to do with the science involved.
And that MLB followed the same procedure the rest of the world follows.

Braun is a [expletive] for throwing this dude under the bus. Now maybe 99% of America would do the same but it still doesn't make it right.

also, to Richie's point, I'm not angry, it's just a weak, weak argument and a [expletive] thing to do to a guy.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

lukethedrifter wrote:To the Grantland article ( and arguing that PEDs are a Libertarian issue) what about fairness? Some guy doesn't want to take the health risks associated with the various PEDs? Is he not at a competitive disadvantage? I think it's a crap argument.
This one?
He mentions the health argument in the third paragraph and agrees that there is legitimacy to it. Then he goes off on some weird generalization about "authoritarian solutions" that doesn't make much sense.

I'd say that, in general, workplace random drug testing is wrong especially if it is just going after people smoking weed on their own time. Whatever missed procedural detail you can cite to beat that rap is fine by me. The case for it in sports is stronger given the moral hazard argument, but you can still make the case that it is a violation of privacy, that the testing isn't effective at catching users while leading to an arms race that probably doesn't promote health, that the problem is overblown, etc. But if you don't question the legitimacy of drug testing in general, I don't see how you can seriously argue that irrelevant procedural details should be grounds for dismissal of a case.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

Richie Allen wrote:Appears that his getting off angers Cardinal fans the most. I looked around a bit on this map and couldn't find any state higher than the 55% of people from MO that are bothered by the Braun decision.
What the hell is up with Vermont?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Richie Allen wrote:Appears that his getting off angers Cardinal fans the most. I looked around a bit on this map and couldn't find any state higher than the 55% of people from MO that are bothered by the Braun decision.
This proves it. Tbbfia!! And smartest!!!!!!

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Post by cpebbles »

Apologies in advance for my refusal to let this thing go.

Braun's defense team states that they were able to demonstrate that a clean sample left at room temperature for 44 hours will show the results of the positive test for which he was busted. He seems like a standup guy, so let's take him at his word. Now, nobody had previously shown in a controlled environment that epitestosterone will degrade and testosterone either will not or will do so at a lesser rate, but the theoretical possibility of this in a contaminated sample is why urine samples are supposed to be stored at refrigerator temperatures. So I look forward to seeing the results of his little scientific experiment in a peer-reviewed medical journal in the near future. However, that's child's play in comparison to what else he accomplished. What about the definitive follow-up carbon isotope ratio test?

The conversion of Carbon-12 to Carbon-13 releases 26.72 megavolts of energy, or a little over 13% of the energy released by fission of uranium. This fusion process is the primary energy source of stars larger than our sun. In nature, this process takes temperatures of at least 15 million degrees Celsius.

Ryan Braun figured out how to do it at room temperature. That's called "cold fusion," people. No radioactive materials involved. Tupperware and a cool basement. The biggest hazard involved is the pee. So, uh, worldwide energy problems solved. When does the Nobel prize committee get together?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Arthur Dent wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:To the Grantland article ( and arguing that PEDs are a Libertarian issue) what about fairness? Some guy doesn't want to take the health risks associated with the various PEDs? Is he not at a competitive disadvantage? I think it's a crap argument.
This one?
He mentions the health argument in the third paragraph and agrees that there is legitimacy to it. Then he goes off on some weird generalization about "authoritarian solutions" that doesn't make much sense.
What I'm referring to is the health of men and women who don't want to be at a competitive disadvantage but also don't want to [expletive] with their health.

Take that [expletive] if you are trying to look good or whatever but not when it affects someone else's living.

and of course pebbles is bringing it.