Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: Former Cardinals Watch

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

If you replace Bader with Pham, Goldschmidt with Voit, and add lynn into the rotation, the bWAR increase is 4.0 ... enough to put them in 1st place.

Not that it would work out like that, but just saying. It would also take a couple million off the books.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Breyvic Valera came to the plate with a man on 2nd and 2 outs in the bottom of the 10th last night. His team trailed by a run. And he hit a walkoff double. Think about that.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:If you replace Bader with Pham, Goldschmidt with Voit, and add lynn into the rotation, the bWAR increase is 4.0 ... enough to put them in 1st place.

Not that it would work out like that, but just saying. It would also take a couple million off the books.
Except that Voit would be on the bench or in the minors and Carpenter or JMart would be playing 1B. I am glad that Voit is finding some success but it was pretty obvious he was not going to get regular playing time in St. Louis.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

CardsofSTL wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:If you replace Bader with Pham, Goldschmidt with Voit, and add lynn into the rotation, the bWAR increase is 4.0 ... enough to put them in 1st place.

Except that Voit would be on the bench or in the minors and Carpenter or JMart would be playing 1B. I am glad that Voit is finding some success but it was pretty obvious he was not going to get regular playing time in St. Louis.
Agreed. Musical chairs with Carpenter is more of the issue here to me. Plus Gallegos is one of Mo's better moves in the past half decade.

I knew he wouldn't repeat last year's 5 WAR season at third base. I know WAR doesn't really shift with infielders, especially ones who are below average at 3B and average at 1B defensively. But making him play that position plus relying on similar offensive output was what I questioned. He was already bad at it before, now he's older and still bad at it and has to work extra hard on the hot corner, and taking focus off the work he needs on his batting side.

-2 DRS, - 7.2 UZR in SSS 2019. And only getting slower and older and his arm speed is already abysmal too.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Oscar Mercado is up to an .871 OPS with 4 homers and 6 steals in 30 games so far with Cleveland. I'll give a free subscription to GRB Classic (tm)* to anyone who can name either player we got in exchange for Mercado without looking it up.

*offer valid for one month only, after which you will be auto-enrolled in the full cost plan from now until the death of everyone you have ever known.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

How about a lineup of traded Cards? This is just off the top of my head, don’t have time to do research right now so add to / fill in the blanks.

C Kelly
1B Voit
2B
SS
3B
LF Grichuk
CF Pham
RF Piscotty
OF Mercado
OF Sierra
P Weaver
P Alcantara
P Gallen

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Radbird wrote:How about a lineup of traded Cards? This is just off the top of my head, don’t have time to do research right now so add to / fill in the blanks.

C Kelly
1B Voit
2B
SS
3B
LF Grichuk
CF Pham
RF Piscotty
OF Mercado
OF Sierra
P Weaver
P Alcantara
P Gallen
SS could be Aledmys Diaz, who has an .831 OPS in part-time with the Astros.
Another SP would be Marco Gonzalez and his almost perfectly league average 99 ERA+.
3B, of course, is Brett Wallace. RIP Brett Wallace.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Radbird wrote:How about a lineup of traded Cards? This is just off the top of my head, don’t have time to do research right now so add to / fill in the blanks.

C Kelly
1B Voit
2B
SS
3B
LF Grichuk
CF Pham
RF Piscotty
OF Mercado
OF Sierra
P Weaver
P Alcantara
P Gallen
David Freese at 3B too maybe and Diaz at SS. Valera at 2B? Eliezer Alvarez has no service time yet. We've sucked at developing MIs. Depends on if the rules are including controlled years prior to trade or not. Josh Lucas and Sam Tuivailala as RPs.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:

C Kelly
1B Voit
2B
SS
3B
LF Grichuk
CF Pham
RF Piscotty
OF Mercado
OF Sierra
P Weaver
P Alcantara
P Gallen
David Freese at 3B too maybe and Diaz at SS. Valera at 2B? Eliezer Alvarez has no service time yet. We've sucked at developing MIs. Depends on if the rules are including controlled years prior to trade or not. Josh Lucas and Sam Tuivailala as RPs.
That tells me the Cards have still been very good at drafting and acquiring players, since they don't have room on the roster for these players.