Steve Adams' NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Steve Adams' NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' writer Steve Adams that occurred on March 26. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.)

A few more questions than last week. I included 2 bonus Q&As this time; both about the IL. Enjoy!

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://live.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with ... 18003.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Does Victor Scott II do enough to stay up once Cards outfield gets healthy?

Steve Adams
He has 300 PAs above A-ball. It's possible, but my expectation is he'll provide good defense and tons of speed but look overmatched at the plate and eventually head back to Triple-A for more development.
Did Michael Siani just lose the starting job to someone that’s never played above AA??

Steve Adams
If the immediate move to replace Carlson is Victor Scott, did Siani ever really "have" the CF job to lose? Cards want him in a fourth OF role, which seems fair based on his glove and track record.
Thought there was supposed to be an update on Matt McLain yesterday? If there was, I missed it.

Steve Adams
David Bell said the Reds would get more info on McLain after he had an afternoon appointment/opinion on his shoulder. That doesn't necessarily mean the team will publicly disclose those findings immediately. I'd expect something today or certainly by tomorrow.
Is Mike Ford proof that Spring Training statistics are meaningless?

Steve Adams
I don't think you need Mike Ford to prove that. History tells us that huge spring performances are outliers far more often than not. Spring training is more interesting if a guy is having success due to a new pitch, a noticeable change in his mechanics, improved health, etc. -- far more so than just someone having 40 fluky plate appearances and hitting .450 in that time (e.g. Hoy Park in Oakland this spring).
Lie to me, tell me Victor Scott is MLB material.

Steve Adams
I don't need to lie to you to tell you that. I don't know if he is quite yet, but the glove and speed are MLB-caliber even if he never hits. Might be a fourth OF, but he should be a big leaguer.
Does O'Neil Cruz stay at SS long term, or is he bound to move to DH/RF?

Steve Adams
RF feels likelier to me, just given the lack of precedent for shortstops of his size.
Do the Cubs have until Opening Day to put Garrett Cooper on the 40 man roster? Seems obvious that Kilian will go to the 60 day in a corresponding move, but what are the procedures/rules?

Steve Adams
Yeah they just need to get it done on or before Opening Day. Agree Kilian to 60-day is an obvious means of getting there.
Between their offseason additions and young talent, did the Cubs do enough to win the NL Central this year?

Steve Adams
I think they're a completely viable pick in the NLC, yeah. But that might be the game's most wide-open division.
The Brewers can't seriously think that their rotation can compete right? Who would you sign?

Steve Adams
Yeah it's rough, though I like Jakob Junis probably more than the average reader here. As long as they can stay afloat until the deadline they can always add then. Of course, a Peralta injury would be disastrous for them.

Peralta + Miley (if he's back soon) + Junis + Gasser/Hall/Rea/Ross could be serviceable though. I tend to have more faith in the Brewers squeezing out value from some questionable guys than I do other clubs. They have some track record there and regularly overperform what one might expect just looking at the names on the roster.
What are the rules for placing players on IL at the beginning of the season? How far can they be backdated from Opening Day?

Steve Adams
Three days.
Why do teams wait so long to place players destined for the IL to start the season? For example, we have known for awhile that Vaughn Grissom would not be ready to start the season for the Red Sox, why is he not currently listed on the IL?

Steve Adams
Because it doesn't matter when they do. I assume this is fantasy related, as that's always a point of consternation for fantasy owners, but MLB clubs care little for those of us in fantasy baseball haha. They'll put Grissom on the 10-day IL once they fill out their roster and formally make the transactions selecting contracts/optioning players, etc.

Same deal with the 60-day IL. I get questions on that a lot (and have some in here re: Rangers' 60-day guys and several other teams')... teams will make 60-day IL moves as a corresponding move when they want to add someone else.

Tags: