mlb tv question

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
a_smith
Perennial All-Star

mlb tv question

Post by a_smith »

I have the MLBTV Premium yearly subscription, dont have cable, and want to show 5 month old junior the joys of playoff baseball. (yes he will be wearing his Aaron Miles authentic cardinal game worn jersey, though it will be a little snug)

I assume that I can watch the games without paying more money through mlb.com.

Is that safe to say?

I didnt have mlb.tv the last time we made a playoff run.

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Re: mlb tv question

Post by Mary1966 »

No, the playoffs are a separate package:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/po ... Id=mlbMENU

You can only get a feed from TBS, so it's the ALDS, NLDS, and NLCS. The ALCS and World Series are on FOX.

The ALDS and NLDS are $3.99, the ALDS, NLDS, and NLCS are $5.99.

Bo Hart
Perennial All-Star

Post by Bo Hart »

Do not waste your money on the postseason version of MLB.tv. It is not intended to be a standalone feed. It's intended to be a companion tool for the live broadcast. Your view is stuck on one camera the entire time. It does allow you to open four views simultaneously, but it still sucks. (For example, imagine one of your camera feeds being a behind-the-plate view the entire game. It's not cool, it's boring and useless on action in the outfield) Also, I'm pretty sure you don't get any commentary either -- from what I remember, it's just the noise of the stadium (I could be wrong on that).

Anyway, in summary, it's a joke -- at least if you're relying on it as your sole source of the game.

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

thanks kyle and mary

i will be listening on the radio feed over mlb.com.

slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden

Post by slide_into_first »

Take him to a sports bar.

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

just might do that

he can have his bottles.
I can have mine

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Kyle wrote:Do not waste your money on the postseason version of MLB.tv. It is not intended to be a standalone feed. It's intended to be a companion tool for the live broadcast. Your view is stuck on one camera the entire time. It does allow you to open four views simultaneously, but it still sucks. (For example, imagine one of your camera feeds being a behind-the-plate view the entire game. It's not cool, it's boring and useless on action in the outfield) Also, I'm pretty sure you don't get any commentary either -- from what I remember, it's just the noise of the stadium (I could be wrong on that).

Anyway, in summary, it's a joke -- at least if you're relying on it as your sole source of the game.
So the postseason one is different from the regular season one?

I've been very happy with the regular season one. It is basically the same broadcast as you would see on cable/dish and you can even choose which feed (home or away) if it is available.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I got rid of my dish because it was too expensive. I can get Cards on the radio where I live. I might be able to muddle through with the MLB.TV thing with the radio feed, as long as the delay is not too different.

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

pioneer98 wrote:
Kyle wrote:Do not waste your money on the postseason version of MLB.tv. It is not intended to be a standalone feed. It's intended to be a companion tool for the live broadcast. Your view is stuck on one camera the entire time. It does allow you to open four views simultaneously, but it still sucks. (For example, imagine one of your camera feeds being a behind-the-plate view the entire game. It's not cool, it's boring and useless on action in the outfield) Also, I'm pretty sure you don't get any commentary either -- from what I remember, it's just the noise of the stadium (I could be wrong on that).

So the postseason one is different from the regular season one?

I've been very happy with the regular season one. It is basically the same broadcast as you would see on cable/dish and you can even choose which feed (home or away) if it is available.
yup. you can still get the audio, but it is a blackout for tv

kyle and mary are right--it's in the fine print

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/po ... d=MLBTVTAB

"Postseason Live Blackout: Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, during the MLB Postseason, all live games will be blacked out in the United States (including the territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands) and Canada. If you are an MLB.TV Premium Subscriber outside of the United States and Canada, each of these games will be available as an archived game as soon as possible after the conclusion of the applicable game. If you are an MLB.TV Premium Subscriber within the United States or Canada or an MLB.TV subscriber in any territory, each of these games will be available as an archived game approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the applicable game. Archived games are not available through MLB.com At Bat.

Postseason.TV: Subscribers to Postseason.TV, available only during the MLB Postseason, will be able to view live alternative video feeds (excluding the broadcast feed) from MLB Postseason games without blackout restrictions.

Live Audio of those games subject to the blackout restrictions reflected above is available as part of any MLB.TV subscription, as part of MLB.com Gameday Audio.

OUTSIDE THE U.S. AND CANADA

No blackout restrictions apply.

All blackout restrictions described herein are determined by Major League Baseball, in its sole discretion, and are subject to change."

Bo Hart
Perennial All-Star

Post by Bo Hart »

pioneer98 wrote:So the postseason one is different from the regular season one?

Yeah, the regular season one is awesome, but the postseason version is essentially a stripped down version. It's presumably so that these stations that pay big money for exclusive rights to broadcast these games aren't losing out on viewers.