Guillen’s Castro comment

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Guillen’s Castro comment

Post by pioneer98 »

OK, so it's just "Ozzie being Ozzie" but it's still kind of a big deal in Miami.

Guillen in hot water over Fidel Castro talk

Guillen will fly to Miami for personal apology after cries for firing and suspension grow

A group is calling for a boycott of the Marlins until Guillen steps down. More bad PR for getting the stadium off on the right foot.

fanforever
Retired

Re: Guillen’s Castro comment

Post by fanforever »

And how dumb Gullen is....they play in the "Little Havana" area of Miami, which is full of ex-pat Cuban defectors, who are some of the most anti-communist people on the planet.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

Ozzie sure knows how to say the right things.

doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Post by doe_boy »

Loria was ready to see los Cubanos filling the new stadium.

He may need to wait a bit now.

Ozzie's always good for saying something absurdly stupid.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I recently started following Daniel Tosh on Twitter and him and his followers have been pretty entertaining with Ozzie quotes on other historical figures today.

On R. Kelly - When you gotta go, you gotta go.
On the DC Sniper - I wish my ace had that kind of accuracy.
On Rosa Parks - She never called shotgun.
On Chris Brown - One heck of a hitter.
On Bin Laden - That dude killed it in hide and seek.
On Kony - He's good with kids.

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Post by Fan_In_NY »

Glad Loria wanted him so bad. They are both idiots and deserve each other.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Knot Hole Gang Vet
In perpetuum

Post by Knot Hole Gang Vet »

TimeForGuinness wrote:Image
OMG- I still like Sportsmans Park better. I'm stuck in the 40's.

Thanks for posting this, TFG, when I was watching the game last week, I was wondering what outlandish things it did.

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

The latest on this idiot

link to full article:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/77919 ... o-comments
PHILADELPHIA -- Miami Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen, facing criticism over comments published last week in which he expressed admiration for Fidel Castro, says he intends to fly back to Miami to answer in person for his statements about the Cuban leader.

Guillen, speaking in the Marlins' dugout before their afternoon game against the Philadelphia Phillies, said he felt "guilty" and "embarrassed" and wants to address questions personally. He planned to return to Miami after Monday's game and speak at a 10:30 a.m. ET news conference on Tuesday at Marlins Park.

"I want to make everything clear what's going on. Then people can see me and know what I think," Guillen said. "I think it's the proper thing so people can see my eyes and ask every question they want to ask.

"I want to get the thing over with. I told the Marlins I want to fly (back) as soon as I can, and tomorrow's a day off," Guillen said. "I don't want to (talk about it) in Philadelphia. I want to be in Miami and clear everything up."

Guillen also said he doesn't want to limit his appearance in Miami to the media.

"I want the people there. Whoever feels about it, ask me any questions," he said. "I want you to ask what you ask, because I feel bad? Yes. I feel embarrassed? Yes."

A Cuban-American advocacy group in Miami, Vigilia Mambisa, has said it would boycott and demonstrate against Guillen until the Marlins fire him.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Knot Hole Gang Vet wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:Image
OMG- I still like Sportsmans Park better. I'm stuck in the 40's.

Thanks for posting this, TFG, when I was watching the game last week, I was wondering what outlandish things it did.
I always wonder what the old timers back when thought when they saw a scoreboard with an eagle flapping it's wings and a bird flying round the scoreboard and then perching itself up on a ball that is a clock. Outlandish St. Louis style circa 1965.

I guess Ozzie also said something about getting drunk win or lose after every game recently. So you can't say that everything he says is outlandish.

edit .. ok here it is:

“I go to the hotel bar, get drunk, sleep. I don’t do anything else. I get drunk because I’m happy we win or I get drunk because I’m very sad and disturbed because we lose. Same routine, it never changes. It’s been the same routine for 25, 28 years. It doesn’t change. I don’t like to go out. I don’t have time. I’ve got to be here early, and I go to sleep so drunk that I have to recover in time to go to the park.”