Berkman might be heading to the DL

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: Berkman might be heading to the DL

Post by Fat Strat »

This is all moot -- Skip's ready. Cards are DL'ing Berkman and adding Skip, per Goold and Langosh on Twitter. Shane Robinson is now the power bat off the bench.

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

oh, and I am in total agreement with your idea Fat of calling up Adams and keeping Carpenter on the bench as a means to make the team stronger.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

More on this from the broadcast...

Mo says Skip will come up, but he would not hesitate to bring Adams up. He didn't come up because he's not on the 40 man, but Mo won't hesitate to add him and bring him up. Feels like he is ready for the majors.

You have to wonder how close Craig is. And I'm real curious to see what Matheny does with Skip. 2B has been an offensive black hole so far and Greene and Descalso are getting plenty of ab's to turn it around.

ilstu24
All-Star

Post by ilstu24 »

Per Rotoworld:

The Cardinals considered recalling Triple-A first base prospect Matt Adams to take Lance Berkman's (calf) roster spot.
The Cards instead decided to accelerate the rehabbing Skip Schumaker's (oblique) timetable, and will stick with the hot-hitting Matt Carpenter at first base in Berkman's absence. "It came down to if you're going to play him, sure, but with Carpenter doing what he's doing, he can get the large share of at-bats," GM John Mozeliak said. Adams is not on the 40-man roster. The 2011 Texas League player of the year, Adams is off to a roaring start for Triple-A Memphis, hitting .389/.421/.648 through his first 57 plate appearances. He'll likely see the bigs at some point this season, but only as a bench player or September call-up. He's well worth monitoring in deep keeper leagues.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

If you think about it, it's really Matt Carpenter's fault that Matt Adams wasn't called up. If he hadn't been doing so well, we wouldn't have decided to have him step in for Berkman. ;)

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

The question is will Adams get enough at bats this year with the big club to make it a tough choice of who to go with next year at 1B, Berkman or Adams.

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... 0f31a.html

First baseman Lance Berkman's return from the disabled list may take longer than the club had hoped as he has yet to run faster than a jog since becoming unavailable to the club April 19.

Berkman said he jogged at Busch Stadium on Monday's off day but felt some stiffness in his problematic left calf Tuesday.

Matheny said he had not received any indication Berkman would leave the disabled list when eligible Friday.

Berkman had hoped to be able to play this weekend's entire series against the Houston Astros but on Tuesday played down the prospects as "a 50-50 proposition."

He added, "It's not a lead-pipe cinch, but it's a possibility."

The club is leery of pushing Berkman's return as he has experienced discomfort in the area twice. Allen Craig's return to the roster also offers a buffer.

"I've got to run. I've got to push it. I've got to go full speed and have it not feel bad the next day," Berkman said. "That's where the next step is."
Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... z1tiCBSrfS

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Don't push it. Make sure he's 100% before bringing him back.

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Post by cpebbles »

JoeMcKim wrote:The question is will Adams get enough at bats this year with the big club to make it a tough choice of who to go with next year at 1B, Berkman or Adams.
I suspect Adams gets to repeat AAA next year unless he has a season for the ages. RF doesn't open up for Craig until 2014.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

I have a sinking feeling that what we got out of Berkman in 2011 is all we're going to get out of him, at least in terms of outstanding performance, and that from here on out, we'll get the 2010 version - if that much.