Berkman might be heading to the DL

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: Berkman might be heading to the DL

Post by JoeMcKim »

I don't know why Carp hasn't been put on the 60 day DL yet, since it's fairly obvious he won't be back before June anyways.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

JoeMcKim wrote:I don't know why Carp hasn't been put on the 60 day DL yet, since it's fairly obvious he won't be back before June anyways.
They held out hope that he might be able to make it back in mid-May. That doesn't seem likely now. I still think we should just pass Hamilton through waivers while he's on the DL. You could also move Carp to the 60 and free up another spot. That would give you the chance to add Shelby if you needed him. Eventually Shelby and Matt are going to be on the 40-man. We could get it done right now if Mo wants to.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

Bear in mind that Shane is our only RH backup outfielder until Craig comes back. Skip, Komatsu, Chambers, et al are all lefties.

But they don't want to lose Komatsu, either, and the indications are Washington isn't willing to make a deal for us to keep him.

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Post by Fan_In_NY »

Fat Strat wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:I don't know why Carp hasn't been put on the 60 day DL yet, since it's fairly obvious he won't be back before June anyways.
They held out hope that he might be able to make it back in mid-May. That doesn't seem likely now. I still think we should just pass Hamilton through waivers while he's on the DL. You could also move Carp to the 60 and free up another spot. That would give you the chance to add Shelby if you needed him. Eventually Shelby and Matt are going to be on the 40-man. We could get it done right now if Mo wants to.
I believe you can only add a man to the 60 day DL when your 40 man is full. And considering there is no need to add Miller there is no reason to add a second spot (assuming waiving Hamilton creates the first spot). I believe adding Miller to the 40 man would necessitate using one of his option years which you do not want to do. Even though we would like to think that he will be up in the majors next year at the latest and never going back sometimes pitchers have a bit of an adjustment. Having the full amount of options years to allow for flexibility shouldn't be overlooked. (I mean look at someone like Homer Bailey, came up a top prospect and still needs to get sent down every once in a while for adjustments).

With a hitter like Adams I have less concern using up his option years. But I really think with Carpenter hitting the way he is bringing up Adams is a little redundant.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

It's best just to let M.Carp while Berkman is on the DL, if there is a day you don't want to use Carpenter in the lineup then you can always have Freese play 1B on that day since he would in for the most part be considered the 2nd string 1B with Berkman on the DL.

greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Post by greenback44 »

Fan_In_NY wrote:I believe adding Miller to the 40 man would necessitate using one of his option years which you do not want to do.
If he's down at the minors, yeah. There's literaly no reason to add him (or Adams) to the 40-man this year unless they're adding him to the 25-man roster.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

JoeMcKim wrote:It's best just to let M.Carp while Berkman is on the DL, if there is a day you don't want to use Carpenter in the lineup then you can always have Freese play 1B on that day since he would in for the most part be considered the 2nd string 1B with Berkman on the DL.
Derek Lee is still available... ;)

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

Jmodene wrote:Bear in mind that Shane is our only RH backup outfielder until Craig comes back. Skip, Komatsu, Chambers, et al are all lefties.

But they don't want to lose Komatsu, either, and the indications are Washington isn't willing to make a deal for us to keep him.
I wouldn't make a deal either if I was Washington. Well, I would, but I would treat it like a trade and the Cards won't do that.

Shane might be our only RH backup outfielder, but that doesn't change the fact that he doesn't fit with our plans long-term. We chose not to acquire a RH'ed CF'er so now we have to lie in that bed for awhile.

Take your pick. We either have Carpenter starting everyday at 1b with 4 weak hitting CF'ers/MI'ers (Greene, Robinson, Komatsu, Skip) on the bench, one of which is righthanded, or we start a legitimate powerhitting 1b'man while Berkman is out, keep some power and versatility on the bench (Carpenter, Skip, Greene, Komatsu), and anxious await Craig's return.

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

Fan_In_NY wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
I believe you can only add a man to the 60 day DL when your 40 man is full. And considering there is no need to add Miller there is no reason to add a second spot (assuming waiving Hamilton creates the first spot). I believe adding Miller to the 40 man would necessitate using one of his option years which you do not want to do. Even though we would like to think that he will be up in the majors next year at the latest and never going back sometimes pitchers have a bit of an adjustment. Having the full amount of options years to allow for flexibility shouldn't be overlooked. (I mean look at someone like Homer Bailey, came up a top prospect and still needs to get sent down every once in a while for adjustments).

With a hitter like Adams I have less concern using up his option years. But I really think with Carpenter hitting the way he is bringing up Adams is a little redundant.
If you pass Hamilton through and add Adams, then you're 40 man is full again. That means you could pass Carpenter through and add Miller... I would probably only do this if you needed a starter for awhile. But, Miller is ready to be up this season, he will be up this season, and he should be the first starter up, so you really can't worry about the option year. He's going to burn it regardless or we're going to be satisfied not using one of our best resources on the farm. That's silly to me, especially when you have two starters who will be FA's next year. We need to know what Miller can do this year or we have to go into next year blind.

I don't think it makes Adam redundant because you're essentially losing the player that Carpenter has been for us if you promote him to full-time starter at 1b. If you need to double switch for Freese or Beltran or whoever later in the game, you only have slap hitting OF'ers available to you. If Freese needs a day off, you get today's lineup where you have no choice but to play both Descalso and Greene... yuck.

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

Fat Strat wrote:
Fan_In_NY wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:

If you pass Hamilton through and add Adams, then you're 40 man is full again. That means you could pass Carpenter through and add Miller... I would probably only do this if you needed a starter for awhile. But, Miller is ready to be up this season, he will be up this season, and he should be the first starter up, so you really can't worry about the option year. He's going to burn it regardless or we're going to be satisfied not using one of our best resources on the farm. That's silly to me, especially when you have two starters who will be FA's next year. We need to know what Miller can do this year or we have to go into next year blind.

I don't think it makes Adam redundant because you're essentially losing the player that Carpenter has been for us if you promote him to full-time starter at 1b. If you need to double switch for Freese or Beltran or whoever later in the game, you only have slap hitting OF'ers available to you. If Freese needs a day off, you get today's lineup where you have no choice but to play both Descalso and Greene... yuck.
well if we need to know what miller can do this year, we can start by waiting for him to pitch well at AAA

he is getting shelled at AAA
3 starts 13 innings 18 hits 6 walks - not exactly setting the world on fire-

small sample size and all, but right now I would call up dickson for a spot start as at least he is getting AAA hitters out.
Miller is clearly the stud prospect, but he may need more than a month or two of adjustment to AAA to be ready for the next level