Fringe Major League Player

Re: Berkman might be heading to the DL

Post by sneakypower »

i really think Hamels gets an insane contract, something like 8/180

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

You would think we would be eagerly anticipating the return of a guy who has put up an OPS+ of 184 thus far, but when Matt Holliday is currently our weakest link at 110, I guess I can see the reaction is more like, "Oh [expletive], I forgot we had Lance [expletive] Berkman on our team. Welcome back, buddy."

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

Jenifer Langosch ‏ @LangoschMLB
Lance Berkman told http://MLB.com's @Boomskie that he expects to come off DL on Friday. That's his projection, but one nonetheless.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

cpebbles wrote:
phins wrote:Give me Hamels if we have the cash. Not many people realize he got married in Springfield and has a home near Branson. His wife is from this area and he's awesome.

It'd take something like 6/120 to sign him, but I'd pony up the cash with guys like Miller/Wong/Adams/Craig/Lynn/Sanchez/Tavares ready to give us some payroll flexibility.
No thanks. He'd basically have to stay completely healthy for 6 years without any decline in stuff to earn that contract. Somebody probably will give him a deal like that, but the better front offices aren't going to give him that many years without some allowance for the likelihood of injury.
It's an understandable stance. Pitchers are always an injury risk, and Hamels is probably a bit more of one than some others.

I just think the Cards are well positioned to add an expensive piece in free agency and he's the best fit in my view, and the Cards can take a risk on a guy like Hamels in my view. You can structure the contract to give you some allowance for injury, but you can't give too much obviously, or he wouldn't sign.

There's other options, and it was more of an off-the-cuff comment than a completely researched one, but I do like Hamels as a fit for the team as constructed.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

With Miller and Lynn projected in the rotation for the foreseeable future, Wainwright likely to re-sign, Garcia locked up through 2015, not sure there is a reason to get into the Hamels sweepstakes.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

AdmiralKird wrote:With Miller and Lynn projected in the rotation for the foreseeable future, Wainwright likely to re-sign, Garcia locked up through 2015, not sure there is a reason to get into the Hamels sweepstakes.
We have moneys. Let's spend moneys. And you can never have enough pitching. We say that's a good rotation, but next thing you know 1 guy needs TJ and another got hurt in motocross.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

But think of all the low hanging fruit you can buy with an extra $100 million dollars.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

cards2468 wrote:
AdmiralKird wrote:With Miller and Lynn projected in the rotation for the foreseeable future, Wainwright likely to re-sign, Garcia locked up through 2015, not sure there is a reason to get into the Hamels sweepstakes.
We have moneys. Let's spend moneys. And you can never have enough pitching. We say that's a good rotation, but next thing you know 1 guy needs TJ and another got hurt in motocross.
I'd rather spend money on Josh Hamilton. Yeah, he's injury prone, but so is every pitcher on the planet.

Though I have no idea what the market for him is going to be like. Just saying if I had my d'ruthers, I'd opt for a stud position player to spend the money on rather than a SP.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

AdmiralKird wrote:But think of all the low hanging fruit you can buy with an extra $100 million dollars.
For the near future we should have cheap solutions at 3b, 1b, ss, cf and rf and right now we have long term solutions already in place at c and lf. We shouldn't have too many holes to fill for a little while. Unless we want to deal away some of those options so we can sign more expensive options, then I think targetting Hamels or Greinke might be a good use of our money.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Who is this cheap solution at SS?