Hall Of Famer

Re: Berkman might be heading to the DL

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Could be. But 2011 sure was fun.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Jmodene wrote:I have a sinking feeling that what we got out of Berkman in 2011 is all we're going to get out of him, at least in terms of outstanding performance, and that from here on out, we'll get the 2010 version - if that much.
They were talking last night about expecting him back just after when he's scheduled to come back. And as far as production, before he got hurt he had an ops over 1.000. I think he'll be just fine. A short DL stint and then he's back with Craig to keep him fresh. I don't see any reason why he can't be a very productive player. 2011 was a year for the ages for him, but it's a far drop from there to his Skip Schumaker esque 2010.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

That high OPS of his is a bit misleading, though - it's very largely BA and walks-oriented; he has six walks to go along with his 8 hits, giving him a .500 OBA, 88 points above last year's .412, and a .348 BA (47 points above last year's .301). His SLG is down 25 points from last year (from .547 to .522), but he has only two doubles and a triple (and it's the triple, of course, that put him on the DL) in his 23 AB.

That, as much as the injuries, is why I'm a bit worried - 3 XBH in 23 AB isn't a good percentage.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Jmodene wrote:That high OPS of his is a bit misleading, though - it's very largely BA and walks-oriented; he has six walks to go along with his 8 hits, giving him a .500 OBA, 88 points above last year's .412, and a .348 BA (47 points above last year's .301). His SLG is down 25 points from last year (from .547 to .522), but he has only two doubles and a triple (and it's the triple, of course, that put him on the DL) in his 23 AB.

That, as much as the injuries, is why I'm a bit worried - 3 XBH in 23 AB isn't a good percentage.
Ahhh...the good ol' "hollow" 1.000 OPS argument.

Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star

Post by Felix The Cat »

Jmodene wrote:That, as much as the injuries, is why I'm a bit worried - 3 XBH in 23 AB isn't a good percentage.
You do realize how small of a sample size 23 ABs is, right? Unless, you saw something different about his approach/swing or know he's hiding some injury other than his hamstring, assuming he's toast is rather pessimistic amd quite frankly a bit irrational. Coming off knee surgery probably affects his ability to hit a baseball more than a hamstring injury.

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

I don't think we have much reason to be concerned with the way he's swinging the bat or making contact so far. If he can't stay healthy enough to be able to run or stay on the field, that's one thing, but his hitting is another.

The nice thing is that the team has proven its ability to hit without him if need be.

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Post by Fan_In_NY »

Felix The Cat wrote:
Jmodene wrote:That, as much as the injuries, is why I'm a bit worried - 3 XBH in 23 AB isn't a good percentage.
You do realize how small of a sample size 23 ABs is, right? Unless, you saw something different about his approach/swing or know he's hiding some injury other than his hamstring, assuming he's toast is rather pessimistic amd quite frankly a bit irrational. Coming off knee surgery probably affects his ability to hit a baseball more than a hamstring injury.
To piggy-back this... through 28 at bats last season Berkman (who was coming off a horrendous year) had 2 extra base hits (both doubles). He was batting .214 with a .290 OBP and .286 SLG. Waaaay too small a sample to get anything from.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm still worried, but not as much.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

What about Berkman next year? I'm going to answer my own question and say the obvious, that is that it depends on this season. Anyway, if he's looking for a part time gig at part time money next year, I'd be interested.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

I could see Lance next year in a role similar to the one Giambi fills for the Rockies. Big bat off the bench and occasional starter at 1B.

If he's interested in that role, that is.