Berkman might be heading to the DL

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: Berkman might be heading to the DL

Post by Fat Strat »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Who is this cheap solution at SS?
He probably means Ryan Jackson. I would probably consider Jackson to be a cheap solution at MI. I know phin loves his defense and his developing bat, but we're really looking at Brendan Ryan with MAYBE a bit more offensive ability. I think that we'll have to pay a SS after Furcal leaves.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

1b-Craig, Adams
3b-Freese
ss-Jackson
cf-Jay
rf-Taveras

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Fat Strat wrote:
He probably means Ryan Jackson. I would probably consider Jackson to be a cheap solution at MI. I know phin loves his defense and his developing bat, but we're really looking at Brendan Ryan with MAYBE a bit more offensive ability. I think that we'll have to pay a SS after Furcal leaves.
I don't think he's as good as Brendan Ryan defensively. Maybe a touch better offensively. I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on him to man SS for the next 6 years however.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
I don't think he's as good as Brendan Ryan defensively. Maybe a touch better offensively. I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on him to man SS for the next 6 years however.
He's just not the kind of guy you pencil in on a contending team with no real long term budget constraints. If we continue to be able to develop players like we have (and currently are) then we will be able to afford to find and pay a SS who will provide us more than Jackson probably will.

That was always my contention with Ryan as well. Don't start him. Don't trade him. Just let him be a backup. If he forces his way into the lineup, great. If not, you have one of the best defenders on the planet on your bench. What's wrong with that?

Jackson can force Descalso or Greene out in a year or so and we'll be better off for it.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Fat Strat wrote:
Jackson can force Descalso or Greene out in a year or so and we'll be better off for it.
That isn't necessarily factual.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

Decent middle infielders are tough to find, outside the top 5 or so SS's in the bigs, you're not going to find much that's better than Brendan Ryan. If Jackson is capable of sitting around 2-3 WAR, I think it would be a waste of money to drop $10 mil a year on a guy that's around 3-4 WAR.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

cards2468 wrote: If Jackson is capable of sitting around 2-3 WAR, I think it would be a waste of money to drop $10 mil a year on a guy that's around 3-4 WAR.
Sure, if he's capable of doing that. I have my doubts he can though.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
cards2468 wrote: If Jackson is capable of sitting around 2-3 WAR, I think it would be a waste of money to drop $10 mil a year on a guy that's around 3-4 WAR.
Sure, if he's capable of doing that. I have my doubts he can though.
2-3 WAR would be Brendan Ryan territory, just sayin'

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Right now 2B is the offensive liability in the cards batting order, if Wong turns out to be a good major leaguer then you can switch the positions as far as whats the leadoff hitter and which one hits 8th. So really we would be the same as we are now.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Am I the only one who is excited when this thread is bumped, only to be disappointed because the posts no longer relate to when Berkman may be returning?