UPDATE: Cards Sign Diaz, page 8

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
STL_Cards
Get off my damn lawn you whippersnappers!

UPDATE: Cards Sign Diaz, page 8

Post by STL_Cards »

Could the Cardinals possibly have interest in these players? I really like the Peralta signing, because it gives the team another bat. It also gives them flexibility because Peralta might be able to play third base, and also gives them leverage in other trade talks for shortstops in the future.

Being given a four year deal, Peralta appears to be the answer for awhile. He probably isn't the long-term answer, though. Signing one of these shortstops (Arruebarruena or Diaz) would be a good idea, in my opinion. They would probably have plenty of time to develop and if nothing else would be good depth for the team.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Re: Erisbel Arruebarruena and Aledmys Diaz

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

I'd look hard at it. We simply have nothing in the minors worth getting excited about. That includes Mercado.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

Strauss was asked about this in his chat yesterday. He has suggested in the past signing one or the other of them, since the signing of Peralta gives us a couple years to develop them in the minors instead of trying to stick them directly into the major leagues.

What does Cuba rate, anyway? Above Japanese leagues? AAA? AA?

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

If Mike Shannon has any say, negatory.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Some Cuban players are able to make the jump straight to the majors like Yoenis Cespedes while others need some seasoning in the minors like Aroldis Chapman. It all depends on far each of the players has developed so far.

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

Man, those are some great names.

ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

From what I understand Arruebarruena is elite defensively but his offense is a big question mark (think Adeiny Hecchevarria), while Diaz is very good offensively with some questions of whether he'll be able to stick at SS defensively.

With teams like the Mets wanting a bat that can contribute quickly, Diaz would appear to be the more desirable option. The Cardinals can be patient, so a guy like Arruebarruena might be right up their alley since they'll have Jhonny Peralta locked in at short for at least 2 seasons.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

(Air-s-bell Are-roo-eb-bar-roo-ain-ya)

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

JoeMcKim wrote:Some Cuban players are able to make the jump straight to the majors like Yoenis Cespedes while others need some seasoning in the minors like Aroldis Chapman. It all depends on far each of the players has developed so far.
Thanks.

As for where I would rate Cuban baseball, I'm not sure as I don't follow it all that closely. My impression, though, is that it's a notch below Japanese baseball, which would put them at about AA level. There are elite talents, of course, that rise above that level, just as there are elite talents in AA ball that are much better than your typical AA player.

STL_Cards
Get off my damn lawn you whippersnappers!

Post by STL_Cards »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:I'd look hard at it. We simply have nothing in the minors worth getting excited about. That includes Mercado.
I agree.