Perennial All-Star

Re: UPDATE: Cards Sign Diaz, page 8

Post by Cheddar Tom »

The one that signed him got demoted.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Ok forget what I said. I'm not even sure what I meant other than to say it's an organization in flux, and that's a good example.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Not sure why the Dodgers went and acquired Howie Kendrick when they got Alexander Guerrero ready to step into the 2B spot, he just had a really good season at AAA. It's not like he was a guy with a lot of potential who struggled last season, he had a a really good season. And to have no confidence that he could succeed on the next level makes you wonder why they even bothered to sign him for a bunch of money.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

is he the one who got his ear bit off?

doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Post by doe_boy »

Is Diaz still a prospect?

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

doe_boy wrote:Is Diaz still a prospect?
Not at SS if you ask me.

jim

Post by jim »

Hoot45 wrote:
Not at SS if you ask me.
He's got 47 MiLB games under his belt, I'm asking because I don't know much other than what I have read - why do you say this?

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

jim wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:
Not at SS if you ask me.
He's got 47 MiLB games under his belt, I'm asking because I don't know much other than what I have read - why do you say this?
I saw a number of his games. He looked pretty good at the plate and I am, so far, excited about his abilities on offense. I thought he had a strong feel for the strike zone and proved to be a pretty versatile hitter. He's a natural.

The reason why I say not at shortstop is because his shoulder injury turned out to be worse than thought and the mechanics of playing that position put him at risk of frequent injury. You can see with the naked eye how his arm strength is affected by the shoulder injury and he's already not a great defender. He might just be good enough on offense, and not good enough at defense, that a change in position makes the most sense. The challenge of short, plus the frequent risk of re-injury, tells me it's a bad fit.

Some people say that the shoulder injury was just because of rust - all that time he had off. But I don't agree, and I presume other clubs saw more concern with the shoulder than St. Louis did and that's why we got the bargain. I think it's a shoulder problem, not just an aggravation. Diaz will be pushed hard this spring and I expect to see him in Memphis, probably somewhere other than shortstop. No reason to be down on him but might be worth re-thinking the belief that we've got a big prospect at short.

jim

Post by jim »

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I've only seen video and he's a good looking hitter. Good bat speed.

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

Hoot45 wrote:
jim wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:
Not at SS if you ask me.
I saw a number of his games. He looked pretty good at the plate and I am, so far, excited about his abilities on offense. I thought he had a strong feel for the strike zone and proved to be a pretty versatile hitter. He's a natural.

The reason why I say not at shortstop is because his shoulder injury turned out to be worse than thought and the mechanics of playing that position put him at risk of frequent injury. You can see with the naked eye how his arm strength is affected by the shoulder injury and he's already not a great defender. He might just be good enough on offense, and not good enough at defense, that a change in position makes the most sense. The challenge of short, plus the frequent risk of re-injury, tells me it's a bad fit.

Some people say that the shoulder injury was just because of rust - all that time he had off. But I don't agree, and I presume other clubs saw more concern with the shoulder than St. Louis did and that's why we got the bargain. I think it's a shoulder problem, not just an aggravation. Diaz will be pushed hard this spring and I expect to see him in Memphis, probably somewhere other than shortstop. No reason to be down on him but might be worth re-thinking the belief that we've got a big prospect at short.
So what position would you profile him at?...like 3B or OF? Would his bat be good enough for a "power" position?