Former Minor leaguers sue MLB over salaries

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: Former Minor leaguers sue MLB over salaries

Post by Socnorb11 »

redbirdjazzz wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
redbirdjazzz wrote: Bringing in a class of more oppressed people (and I'd add grad students to student teachers in that assessment) that nobody is doing anything about is not a reasonable argument for not doing something about this; it's an argument to try to do something about student teachers. Doing something about the student teacher system has the added difficulty of having no unified enemy (MLB in the MiLB discussion). It wouldn't be a simple lawsuit.
The point is that it's all relative. None of these guys are starving or living on the street. Why is it that they deserve more money? I want more money, too.
Really? The fact that they're making below minimum wage doesn't mean that they deserve more money?
I'm not sure if we've concluded that they are making less than minimum wage, all things considered.

Get me a list of the ones who are working off-season jobs. I'll bet it's pretty small.

Again, it's part of getting to where you want to be. College students are working their ass off to try to better themselves........ but they don't get paid. Some things you do for the long-term potential payoff. Things like going to college and playing minor league baseball kinda fall into that category.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Arthur Dent wrote:
jim wrote:The article I referenced says that players salaries are typically between $1100 and $2150 a month, so I'm all for shifting that to more in line with $2000- $3000 a month.
Then we agree. Asking to get at least minimum wage is not some outrageous demand.
Socnorb11 wrote:Minor league baseball wagers work for a small wage, o that they may have an opportunity to become a millionaire.
Most minor leaguers have essentially no chance of becoming a millionaire, and they are going to get a tiny wage in every scenario here. Why do you find it so objectionable for the many players needed to fill out minor league rosters to ask to be paid at least minimum wage?

Are they really "needed"? If they are, then they should simply tell MiLB to suck it. Make MiLB suffer the consequences, and see if it makes a difference.

There's a reason why these guys are doing what they're doing, and not fussing about it much.

Edit: I'm not entirely opposed to bumping their salary up to the $2500 per month range, if that's what minimum wage amounts to when all is said and done.
Last edited by Socnorb11 on April 1 14, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Living at the poverty level has to be damn near impossible. Assuming $500/month rent, plus $100/month utilities. That's $7200/year. Then, take those $11,700 earnings and tax it. I don't know what you're at, but let's say $10,000 which is probably too high. That leaves what like $200/month for food, transportation, insurance, etc. Impossible.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Arthur Dent wrote:
jim wrote:The article I referenced says that players salaries are typically between $1100 and $2150 a month, so I'm all for shifting that to more in line with $2000- $3000 a month.
Then we agree. Asking to get at least minimum wage is not some outrageous demand.
Socnorb11 wrote:Minor league baseball wagers work for a small wage, o that they may have an opportunity to become a millionaire.
Most minor leaguers have essentially no chance of becoming a millionaire, and they are going to get a tiny wage in every scenario here. Why do you find it so objectionable for the many players needed to fill out minor league rosters to ask to be paid at least minimum wage?
That is absolutely true - the roster fillers have zero chance virtually. The entire minor league systems is setup to accomodate maybe 1/2 of the players that have some non-zero chance. In order to develop the players, you need to play games and in order to play games you need to have players. Especially short season, and alot in low-A and even high-A are just there so that the real prospects can play a game. That's it.

I guess my take on reading the article in BA was that they were looking for something a little more than what I'm calling a decent wage. Maybe I'm just assuming incorrectly, but that's what I thought.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Living at the poverty level has to be damn near impossible. Assuming $500/month rent, plus $100/month utilities. That's $7200/year. Then, take those $11,700 earnings and tax it. I don't know what you're at, but let's say $10,000 which is probably too high. That leaves what like $200/month for food, transportation, insurance, etc. Impossible.
Of course it's impossible. Americans all over the place, priming for every field of work imaginable, are struggling with it. This isn't a minor league baseball issue, really. MiLB is really a very very very small percentage of the people who are dealing with these problems.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

Socnorb11 wrote:
redbirdjazzz wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
redbirdjazzz wrote: Bringing in a class of more oppressed people (and I'd add grad students to student teachers in that assessment) that nobody is doing anything about is not a reasonable argument for not doing something about this; it's an argument to try to do something about student teachers. Doing something about the student teacher system has the added difficulty of having no unified enemy (MLB in the MiLB discussion). It wouldn't be a simple lawsuit.
The point is that it's all relative. None of these guys are starving or living on the street. Why is it that they deserve more money? I want more money, too.
Really? The fact that they're making below minimum wage doesn't mean that they deserve more money?
I'm not sure if we've concluded that they are making less than minimum wage, all things considered.

Get me a list of the ones who are working off-season jobs. I'll bet it's pretty small.

Again, it's part of getting to where you want to be. College students are working their ass off to try to better themselves........ but they don't get paid. Some things you do for the long-term potential payoff. Things like going to college and playing minor league baseball kinda fall into that category.
I agree with you about student teachers, grad students and other un-/underpaid interns. The argument that they deserve payment has no bearing on this argument, because the money we're hypothetically going to start paying them would be coming from a different source from the one we're talking about with the minor leaguers. Waiting until we find the worst wrong to right is the way to right none of them.
Last edited by redbirdjazzz on April 1 14, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Broncos - I thought I disagreed with some until I wrote down what my definition of a fair wage was - $2000-$3000/month for the time they are playing - and found out that's what others were thinking.

What is your number?

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

Internships are a terrible, unjustifiable practice. If someone is working for you, then pay them, dammit.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

jim wrote:Broncos - I thought I disagreed with some until I wrote down what my definition of a fair wage was - $2000-$3000/month for the time they are playing - and found out that's what others were thinking.

What is your number?
Yeah, I edited my post above, earlier. I'm pretty OK with that number, really.

I don't want to sound like a hard-ass. If you want to pay them $10 an hour, I can probably live with that. As you mentioned earlier though, if you're OK paying these guys $10 per hour, then you'd better be OK paying McDonald's workers $10 per hour.

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

Socnorb11 wrote:As you mentioned earlier though, if you're OK paying these guys $10 per hour, then you'd better be OK paying McDonald's workers $10 per hour.
Okey doke.