Phillies are a wreck

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Phillies are a wreck

Post by jim »

First turning the kids in for violating some representation rule that all players violate, and now a feud between Rollins and Sanberg. I've never thought Sanberg was a good managerial candidate, and I wonder who this will all work out.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Phillies are a wreck

Post by Jocephus »

yea ive been hearing about this rollins issue...wonder how its going to play out...plus they are such an old team...yikes

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

Only after the [expletive] hit the fan that Sandburg spun a [expletive] story about why it happened. What you are seeing is Ozzie Smith/Tony LaRussa part 2.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

short version of what is going on betw Rollins and Ryno pls?

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

Rollins was not listed in the Phillies’ starting lineup for Thursday’s home game against the Yankees.

His absence was glaring for a couple of reasons:

1.) The Phillies usually play their A lineup for spring home games, especially those that are televised back to Philadelphia. (Thursday’s game was seen on the Comcast Network)

2.) Rollins was out of the lineup Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday will be his third straight non-start, a rarity for a healthy player.

Like many of his teammates, Rollins was slowed by a stomach bug last week, but all indications were that he’s healthy now.

Sandberg was asked whether anything was going on with Rollins after Wednesday’s game in Sarasota.

“No, he’s fine,” Sandberg said.

Freddy Galvis started at shortstop and had a triple. He is 4 for 27 (.148) on the spring with a triple and a homer. Rollins is 2 for 15 (.133).

Sandberg likes competition within a team. Given that, he was asked whether Galvis could be creeping up on Rollins, the Phillies starter at shortstop for 13 seasons.

“Freddy’s a guy that will get playing time at various positions,” Sandberg said. “He’s a guy that I like in the lineup. I felt good about what he brings to the table. The biggest thing I like is his energy and his positive influence, his positive influence on everyone around him.”

Sandberg was asked what he would say about Rollins in that regard.

“No comment,” the manager said.

It was certainly an interesting response.

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-phila ... erg-claims

However, Sandberg’s there's-nothing-to-see-here story became a little tough to believe when it became clear he was bothered by a recent comment that Rollins made in the Philadelphia Daily News.

On Monday, with the losses and the 0-fers piling up, Rollins said something to the effect that he wasn’t concerned about the way things were going because it was just spring training.

“Who cares?” he said.

The comment hit the paper Tuesday morning, the same day that Rollins was abruptly scratched from the lineup. (Sandberg said it was a simple lineup change with no connection to Rollins’ comment.) Rollins also sat Wednesday and Thursday. He will play Friday in Bradenton.

Sandberg would not say when or how he learned of Rollins’ comment -- is he a Daily News subscriber or does he have a bootleg access code? -- but he definitely noticed it, and spoke to Rollins about it Thursday when the two finally got together after a three-day silence.

“I talked to him about that,” Sandberg said. “First of all, I know and believe that everyone in the locker room, including my staff, cares. I wanted him to clarify that because I wanted to make sure that he cared.”

Sandberg heard Rollins’ side of the “Who cares?” story and was satisfied.

“He was referencing himself and where he’s at right now as far as his offensive stroke and what he’s doing on the field,” Sandberg said. “So he was speaking for himself, that he wasn’t that concerned with it being that early in the spring.

“I wanted to make sure -- I know that everyone else in the locker room cares. So when he told me about what he was talking about, it made sense.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Sandberg wants Rollins to play his way, Rollins needs 430ish AB's for some clause to kick in on his contract, and that's a pretty big carrot.

ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star

Post by ThatGuy »

Too blessed to stress.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

It took three days to ask what a quote meant--especially when Rollins' explanation was the most likely meaning, anyway?

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

The scouts' early reviews on the Phillies are in. And to put it kindly, they are less than glowing.

"They're awful," said one.

"Painful to watch," said another.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/sand ... ems-031314

And now looking to dump Rollins, who is 10/5

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/ ... y-rollins/