22%
McGwire
3%
Other (specify)
3%

Total votes: 59

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: Greatest Home Run hitter of alltime.

Post by Socnorb11 »

slide_into_first wrote:What's really being voted on is, "Who was the biggest slugger when you were 14?"
Ruth with over half of the votes!!! :shock:

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Socnorb11 wrote:
slide_into_first wrote:What's really being voted on is, "Who was the biggest slugger when you were 14?"
Ruth with over half of the votes!!! :shock:
I'm not that old yet. (that's a Yogi-ism).

The question was posed after I listened to a Buster Olney podcast basically asking this question, recognizing that while the record itself is big it's not everything. You can still in your own mind have Hank or Babe or whoever as your number 1, for whatever reasons you want. I was just wondering how many people in their own minds had someone other than the numerical leader first, and it's a huge majority. The fact that Bonds hit 762, and for many that Hank hit 755, doesn't matter. Or doesn't matter enough.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

jim wrote:I will never recognize Bonds.

I don't know, he's pretty famous. I'm sure you'd recognize him.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

If you don't recognize Bonds you can't recognize a lot of guys. That gets you in a tough spot.

If you want to discount Palmeiro, who was never MVPaterial even on a down ballot basis, that's still a slippery slope. Aaron is basically Palmeiro. He was rarely spectacular and outlasted a lot of dudes.

jim

Post by jim »

It's only a slippery slope if I want to win an argument, which I do not on this subject. I only have to convince myself, which I have done. It's not a tough spot, or a slippery slope. It's easy, my brain is easily moldable by my own thoughts.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

O.k., never mind about Ruth.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Radbird wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:I voted Ruth just because he was so far above everyone in his era. The time before he came around was known as "The Dead Ball Era".
Yeah, well, he wasn't one of the choices.

jim

Post by jim »

Josh Gibson is an excellent choice.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

To say that "everyone was taking" whatever drug of choice of whatever era is wrong. We know that A LOT of guys were taking stuff, but not ALL of them were. In fact, this is why MLB has been able to implement all of these new policies - there were enough players who didn't want to have to take drugs to compete with the guys who were that they went along with the new harsher policies. I don't think this changes the discussion much but just wanted to get that out there.

And IMO since we are just talking about HRs...Ruth and Aaron are more impressive to me that they did it in their eras just because they really stood out from their peers. Bonds played in an era when Brady Anderson hit 50 HR in a season.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

pioneer98 wrote:
And IMO since we are just talking about HRs...Ruth and Aaron are more impressive to me that they did it in their eras just because they really stood out from their peers. Bonds played in an era when Brady Anderson hit 50 HR in a season.
50 sounds like a lot. It really does.

Now think about 73. That's 46% more than 50. It's ridiculous to hit 73 home runs, even if someone else (anyone else) is hitting 50.