GDT 4/11/14-Cubs (Samardzia) @ Cardinals (Kelly) 7:15 CDT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Re: GDT 4/11/14-Cubs (Samardzia) @ Cardinals (Kelly) 7:15 CD

Post by Jmodene »

I think that what happened last night speaks volumes about how the team regards Kozma at this point.

Not using Cruz is understandable - when you only have two catchers (thanks to the 12-man pitching staff) you generally don't want to use both of them in the same game, in case of injury.

But there's no such restriction on Kozma.

It was already significant that he has played in exactly two games and had exactly one plate appearance all season. Clearly, he's just a placeholder until Ellis comes back.

And it's not like something like this hasn't happened before - nobody ever expected Bo Hart to hit like he did after he was called up in 2003. But by the end of the season, and then going into 2004, it became obvious that he couldn't maintain that level of performance, and he was gone. The same thing is going to happen to Kozma, apparently.

But - if they're not going to use him, then he shouldn't be here - send him down to Memphis, or release him, or whatever and call up someone else - Butler for an extra bat or Garcia for an extra infielder or even Easley for a third catcher - instead of playing a man short.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: GDT 4/11/14-Cubs (Samardzia) @ Cardinals (Kelly) 7:15 CD

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I had to get this in here. The HP ump was horrible for this game, there were many a pitches, on both sides, like this called balls.