My Baseball Weekend

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

My Baseball Weekend

Post by doe_boy »

Went to the Friday and Sunday games with some friends this past weekend.

We've all been Cardinals fans all of our lives. ('Narth County' Catholics who went to St. Thomas Aquinas to answer the typical STL demographic question)

Also, we grew up in the 70s. We remember when Busch I would have crowds of 10,000 on a Saturday. We lived through the frustration of the Carlton-Ruess trades, the 73-74 near misses (see Carlton-Ruess trades), and the glory of the '82 World Series win.

But, being old crusty codgers now, we agreed that 'These kids today' who have grown up since 1996 don't appreciate the ups and downs of the game. How fickle things can become.

Age is a mofo.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Re: My Baseball Weekend

Post by jim »

I grew up in the 70's as well, and I loved the Cardinals unconditionally. When we had some decent teams as in 72-74, I thought we were the best team in the world. When we weren't so good - say 1976 - I just figured the mighty Heity Cruz would pick the team up and put it on his shoulders and carry it to glorious victory. And when they failed, I still loved them.

Everything was better about the Cardinals. Astro turf was the best because we had it. Cookie cutter stadiums were the best. Pink seats were the best. Powder blue road uniforms with striped hats here the best because we had them. The Cardinals could do no wrong when I was that age.

doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Post by doe_boy »

jim wrote:I grew up in the 70's as well, and I loved the Cardinals unconditionally. When we had some decent teams as in 72-74, I thought we were the best team in the world. When we weren't so good - say 1976 - I just figured the mighty Heity Cruz would pick the team up and put it on his shoulders and carry it to glorious victory. And when they failed, I still loved them.

Everything was better about the Cardinals. Astro turf was the best because we had it. Cookie cutter stadiums were the best. Pink seats were the best. Powder blue road uniforms with striped hats here the best because we had them. The Cardinals could do no wrong when I was that age.
If I recall, you and I are both big Ted Simmons fans.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

The early 70's were my formative years as a Cards fan as well. Names such as Bob Chlupsa, Ed Kurpiel, Jorge Roque, Santiago Guzman and Dwain Anderson remain forever locked in my memory.

That's why I appreciated "Gibson's Last Stand" so much - it was great reading about those years. I just wish someone would say who we offered Houston when we tried to trade for Joe Morgan after the 1971 season.

jim

Post by jim »

doe_boy wrote:
jim wrote:I grew up in the 70's as well, and I loved the Cardinals unconditionally. When we had some decent teams as in 72-74, I thought we were the best team in the world. When we weren't so good - say 1976 - I just figured the mighty Heity Cruz would pick the team up and put it on his shoulders and carry it to glorious victory. And when they failed, I still loved them.

Simmons was my favorite player. I was a catcher, and he was a good one to look up to.

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

jim wrote:
doe_boy wrote:

Simmons was my favorite player. I was a catcher, and he was a good one to look up to.
Early 70's for me too; I also dug Simba.

jim

Post by jim »

Another guy I loved was Reggie Smith. I actually got #7 for my uniform because of Reggie. The numbers of our uniforms were 1-12, so 23 wasn't an option.

Gibson and Brock of course.

Another guy I really liked when I was little for some reason was Reggie Cleveland. I have no idea why.

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

jim wrote:Another guy I loved was Reggie Smith. I actually got #7 for my uniform because of Reggie. The numbers of our uniforms were 1-12, so 23 wasn't an option.

Another guy I really liked when I was little for some reason was Reggie Cleveland. I have no idea why.
Ah, Reggie. I thought it was so cool to have switch hitters like him & Simba back to back in the lineup.

What I remember about Reggie Cleveland was he wore golf gloves when he batted. Don't know why that sticks out for me.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

jim wrote:Another guy I loved was Reggie Smith. I actually got #7 for my uniform because of Reggie. The numbers of our uniforms were 1-12, so 23 wasn't an option.

Well, Cleveland was a decent .500 starter for a few years. And it was great having Reggie Smith on the club, if only very briefly.

Simmons, Brock, and Gibson, definitely.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

Let's not forget Ted Sizemore, Ken Reitz, Mike Tyson, Luis Melendez and Ed Crosby. And let's all try to forget Ray Busse. ;)