Oakland A's Lease

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Oakland A's Lease

Post by pioneer98 »

The A's negotiated a 10 year lease extension at the Coliseum with the Coliseum Authority, but the city council doesn't want to approve the lease. Selig has reportedly already given them the green light to move if they don't get the lease approved. Montreal and San Antonio are being mentioned. It's really lousy that A's fans have to go through this during one of their best seasons ever.

http://blog.sfgate.com/matierandross/20 ... 24875101=0

go birds
-go birds

Re: Oakland A's Lease

Post by go birds »

They need to bring a team to Nashville imo

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

If they moved to San Antonio they would then have 3 Texas teams all in the same division, definitely could have even better rivalries with the Astros and Rangers. But the Giants are potentially screwing over the fans of Northern California by not letting them move to San Jose. I would imagine if they moved to Montreal they would have to re-align the divisions.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

I hope they stay in the bay area. I like having my #2 team in the west coast, I can watch their games without messing with my Cardinals.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

JoeMcKim wrote:If they moved to San Antonio they would then have 3 Texas teams all in the same division, definitely could have even better rivalries with the Astros and Rangers. But the Giants are potentially screwing over the fans of Northern California by not letting them move to San Jose. I would imagine if they moved to Montreal they would have to re-align the divisions.
If they put the team in northern San Antonio, it would draw from Austin as well. There are about 3 million people between the Austin and San Antonio metro areas, probably enough to support a team.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I think San Antonio and Montreal are being mentioned because they already have stadiums that might work. It's leverage. The Alamodome has had preseason games there, and Olympic Stadium is still there in Montreal. Of course both of these stadiums have problems and drawbacks, but so does the Oakland Coliseum. I'd like to see them stay in the Bay Area if they could.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

I really like the A's, being in Oakland is part of it. I just spent a week in the bay area and got to see even closer the difference between the two teams, and the two fan bases. I just like Oakland, it's my kind of place. A little rough around the edges, but that's ok, I relate more with people like that than I do the wealthier fanbase of the Giants. A little more down to earth I guess. I really appreciated the fans when I was in Arizona last year, I went to an A's game at the Phoenix Municipal stadium and while the crowd wasn't big crowd, it was loyal.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I'm sure if the A's moved to San Antonio or Montreal it would be agreed upon that they would only be playing in the Alamodome or Olympic Statdium respectively while a new stadium was being built for them.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

go birds wrote:They need to bring a team to Nashville imo
GB, have you heard any plans for the Sounds new stadium to be expandable to a MLB-sized park ?

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Spider John wrote:
go birds wrote:They need to bring a team to Nashville imo
GB, have you heard any plans for the Sounds new stadium to be expandable to a MLB-sized park ?
I have not. But then again, i dont really listen to the local radio sports station anymore (not that they ever talked baseball or anything remotely related to baseball).

I do believe part of the deal for the new stadium was that the sounds agreed to a 30 year lease, so i'm not sure what kind of impact that would have on any sort of expansion.