Anthony Rendon: "Baseball is boring. I don't watch it"

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Re: Anthony Rendon: "Baseball is boring. I don't watch it"

Post by Jmodene »

Vidor wrote:I don't get how anyone can say 1) that Rendon is stupid for not liking baseball or 2) that he should keep his mouth shut and not say he doesn't like baseball. He's entitled to his opinion, and he's entitled to express it.
Actually, he's not entitled in this case. The standard player contract requires players to promote the game.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

heyzeus wrote:He expressed a subjective opinion. Opinions aren't right or wrong. If he said "In my opinion, gravity is just a theory, so it's not really proven science," that would be an objectively stupid opinion. Whether you like or don't like something, or find something boring exciting, is personal.

What you're talking about is the equivalent of I don't like onions ZOMG SO STUPID!111ONE
Only because i want to argue, I'm going to say this. I don't know if I really believe it.

But....

What if Ed Sobiech said he didn't like onions? http://www.greenvalleyonion.com/leader.html

Is that okay? Or is that dumb? It's an opinion, but shouldn't his opinion be, at least publicly, portray his/his employer's product in a positive light?

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

Jmodene wrote:
Vidor wrote:I don't get how anyone can say 1) that Rendon is stupid for not liking baseball or 2) that he should keep his mouth shut and not say he doesn't like baseball. He's entitled to his opinion, and he's entitled to express it.
Actually, he's not entitled in this case. The standard player contract requires players to promote the game.
Oh come now. Good luck enforcing that. "We're going to dock your pay because you said baseball is boring."

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Vidor wrote:
Jmodene wrote:
Oh come now. Good luck enforcing that. "We're going to dock your pay because you said baseball is boring."
you rip selig for the all-star game, 2nd wild card. you can over this too.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:He expressed a subjective opinion. Opinions aren't right or wrong. If he said "In my opinion, gravity is just a theory, so it's not really proven science," that would be an objectively stupid opinion. Whether you like or don't like something, or find something boring exciting, is personal.

What you're talking about is the equivalent of I don't like onions ZOMG SO STUPID!111ONE
Only because i want to argue, I'm going to say this. I don't know if I really believe it.

But....

What if Ed Sobiech said he didn't like onions? http://www.greenvalleyonion.com/leader.html

Is that okay? Or is that dumb? It's an opinion, but shouldn't his opinion be, at least publicly, portray his/his employer's product in a positive light?
I don't know who Ed Sobiech is, but is he the owner of an onion company? If so, his job is to sell people onions. Good luck, they're gross.

Anthony Rendon is a baseball player, not owner of a baseball team or commissioner of baseball. His job is not to sell baseball, it is to play baseball (and no, I do not for a second believe that his contract contains any material term precluding him from stating that he does not enjoy watching baseball).

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

THESE GUYS ARE ROLE MODELS GALL DERNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY CANT BE RUNNIN AROUND ALL WILLY NILLY LIKE DISRESPECTING THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

Jocephus wrote: you rip selig for the all-star game, 2nd wild card. you can over this too.
And the 1994 strike! Selig is the worst.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

heyzeus wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

But....

I don't know who Ed Sobiech is, but is he the owner of an onion company? If so, his job is to sell people onions. Good luck, they're gross.

Anthony Rendon is a baseball player, not owner of a baseball team or commissioner of baseball. His job is not to sell baseball, it is to play baseball (and no, I do not for a second believe that his contract contains any material term precluding him from stating that he does not enjoy watching baseball).
He's an employee, but I think it's almost all employees responsibility to sell the product. His statement wouldn't receive nearly the same amount of press as Rendon's though, so, comparatively, who's is worse?

Again, just playing devil's advocate. And, comparing baseball to normal business is silly.

But, what if Lady Gaga came out and said, going to concerts is boring. Or listening to music is boring. Or scorsese said watching movies was boring. Etc etc etc... Would you have a problem with that?

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

But it was dumb to do to express that particular subjective opinion publicly.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

I can totally see how someone could say that they don't get how anyone could say that Rendon is stupid for not liking baseball, but I don't get how anyone can say that they don't get how anyone can say that he should keep his mouth shut and not say he doesn't like baseball. He's entitled to his opinion, and he's entitled to express it, and his employer is entitled to not be happy with i and tell him otherwise. He may even have a contractual obligation with MLB to not express it, and he is certainly entitled to his right to break that contract, so that MLB is entitled to fine his ass if they don't like what he said.