Update: Cards sign Pierzynski (pg 2)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
KyCardinalFan
Perennial All-Star

Re: Update: Cards sign Pierzynski (pg 2)

Post by KyCardinalFan »

Knot Hole Gang Vet wrote:I believe they signed him to exert some positive influence on our endless group of young hard throwers who are having lots of control problems. We had the mature Yadi running things, and now I don't think they have the confidence that Cruz can control the pitching in the same way. We will never know for sure-they are not going to diss Cruz publicly, but it seems as though we are walking lots of batters, and running long counts, and getting into bad outcomes as a result. AJ just represents a mature presence at the most important position on the field. Fairly simple, I think, and a good decision. We'll see.
I find this to be an interesting perspective. I had been thinking of this deal solely for the offense potential. I hadn't really thought as much about someone who would be more demanding of the pitchers. I guess because Cruz did an adequate job with pitchers since last year that familiarity would make an easy transition. The pitchers have hit a lot of batters since the AS break. Perhaps Cruz is sticking too much with game plans even if the pitcher doesn't have a particular pitch.

KyCardinalFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by KyCardinalFan »

Freed Roger wrote:20% of Cards new TV deal, NTC, his pick of the FoxSportsMidwest Girls, and spot in Cards HOF -for 5 years
... And a 10-year personal services clause.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

KyCardinalFan wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:20% of Cards new TV deal, NTC, his pick of the FoxSportsMidwest Girls, and spot in Cards HOF -for 5 years
... And a 10-year personal services clause.
I'm starting to rethink this. Sure his OPS with the Cards is 1125 or something, but after his first game, his OPS has dropped in EVERY SINGLE GAME he has played. That's a difficult trend to ignore. Maybe 15% of the new TV deal and 4 years personal services clause.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I'm confused. Either Pierchinszki is a horrible influence or we got him to be a stabilizing influence. Which is it?

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

lukethedrifter wrote:I'm confused. Either Pierchinszki is a horrible influence or we got him to be a stabilizing influence. Which is it?
Every game the Cardinals win, Pierzynski will be given full credit.

Every game the Cardinals lose, Pierzynski will get the blame.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Socnorb11 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:I'm confused. Either Pierchinszki is a horrible influence or we got him to be a stabilizing influence. Which is it?
Every game the Cardinals win, Pierzynski will be given full credit.

Every game the Cardinals lose, Pierzynski will get the blame.
The greatest trick Pierzynski ever pulled off was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden

Post by slide_into_first »

He will stabilize the pitchers and shake up the complacency in the clubhouse.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

apologies if already posted
Cards patch catching hole with Pierzynski
July, 26, 2014
Jul 26
3:11
PM ET
By Christina Kahrl | ESPN.com
http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/ ... pierzynski

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Some great player incite from Chris Duncan on ESPN 101. Said AJP has a reputation specifically for treating guys with less than 5 years service time like peasants. He hazes them. Which is another head scratcher why us of all teams would sign him. But hey, he already caught one Shelby's best games in '14..

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:Some great player incite from Chris Duncan on ESPN 101. Said AJP has a reputation specifically for treating guys with less than 5 years service time like peasants. He hazes them. Which is another head scratcher why us of all teams would sign him. But hey, he already caught one Shelby's best games in '14..

I have a feeling that won't fly in our clubhouse. Holliday/Molina/Wainwright would shut that down immediately.