Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Batting Practice

Post by Jocephus »

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Re: Batting Practice

Post by Donnie Ebert »

The first BP I really was amazed by was Dale Murphy before the May 14th, 1988 game at Busch (I remember the date because it was the famous 19 inning game where Oquendo pitched four innings). My dad pointed out Murphy as one that can really hit them, and he obliged by putting on a show. I was just amazed at how those little ant-sized men down below in the giant greenspace could hit a ball that far.

Before a game in 1998, we went early for the McGwire show as thousands other did, and he did not disappoint. I was with my two brothers, and my older brother and I were standing in the front row of the upper deck section just to the left field side of the World Champions flags. My younger brother was behind us on the concourse.
[SHOW]
McGwire hit a ball in our direction, and it just kept rising and rising, but I thought there was no way it would reach our section, as we were in the upper deck and it's hard to judge a ball that's headed right toward you. The ball just kept rising, and it flew over our heads and landed in the tunnel on the concourse behind us (that black dot to the left of the World Champions flags in the picture. My younger brother ran to get the ball and had it, but someone shoved him out of the way and took the ball and ran. As mad as we were about the dude shoving a young teenager to get a BP ball, we were just amazed that McGwire had hit a ball that [expletive] far.