Boston Globe: Lackey uncomfortable when pressed on contract

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Re: Boston Globe: Lackey uncomfortable when pressed on contr

Post by Spider John »

HardballTalk hammers Shaughnessy on a regular basis this type of thing. I can understand why Lackey has a rep as a jerk. If I was questioned like that day in and day out I'd be considered a jerk too.
Last edited by Spider John on August 6 14, 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

Shaughnessy and all other media people from Boston knows he was miserable there, 2013 aside anyway. They just want him to say it so that they'll get more attention. He pitched poorly after coming over and was booed a lot. Chicken and beer. Surly attitude to reporters. None of that is new, and they're just trying to re-create it one last time.

Something tells me Joe Kelly won't have as much fun there.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

IIRC, Shaunessy is the guy who wrote "Curse of the Bambino" and, among other things, talks about how he woke up his young son when it looked like Boston was about to win the WS in 1986 - only to have the Sox blow the game. The guy lives and breathes Red Sox, which is why he kept pressing Lackey on the bit about why he would guarantee the Cards something he wouldn't guarantee the Sox; the implication is that Lackey has proven himself disloyal.

New York has those kind of reporters too - in "Ball Four", Bouton talks about a guy named Jim Ogle, whose reportage was centered solely on whether or not you were helping the Yankees win games. The man lived and breathed Yankees so much that at a news conference announcing the re-signing of Ralph Houk or something, another reporter (Isaacs, I think) passed up a note asking "has Ogle signed his contract yet?"

One thing about the guys in St. Louis (the mainstream guys, not the talk-radio trolls) - and this is from an out-of-towners perspective, of course - is that guys like Hummel, Goold, Strauss and even Bernie aren't nearly as partisan or demanding. I know Goold, in his chat this week, talked about how he is a fan of the game and tries to avoid any semblance of rooting for the team he is covering, which is why he and his son are watching soccer games, since he doubts he'll ever be covering that sport. Strauss and Bernie do have their detractors, of course, here and elsewhere, but I don't think they're nearly as "bad" as some of the columnist/trolls in other cities.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

stauss is just awful.

bernie likes to get loud. i think he had aspirations of being a PTI guy but i generally like/agree his perspective.

goold is great.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Pro athletes can be dicks. Reporters and analysts that cover them tend to be super-needy. Case in point, that Silver comment about Pedroia... Come on Dustin, you are practically my acolyte, can't you just talk to me, ya jerk?

Am I right? Amiright. Can I get a +++?
If not you are all jerks

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

"Hey, Dustin, you got a minute?" seems like a reasonable question for a reporter to ask.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Freed Roger wrote: Am I right? Amiright. Can I get a +++?
ahn no. I'm trying to get ready for some Internet Forum Posting.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

Shaughnessy is an absolute joke. I've read a few of his articles over the years, and it's the same [expletive] every damn time. Bernie at least is able to occasionally add an interesting perspective or opinion, Shaughnessy doesn't. He's not able to objective at all with his opinions. For the most part, he hasn't really bashed the Red Sox FO for 2011-on. He's blamed the players. Part of that might be due to Henry now owning the Globe.

Additionally:
Dan Shaughnessy @Dan_Shaughnessy · 16h

You could feel John Lackey's hatred for the "Boston Baseball Experience,'' in his reluctant session with Hub media today. Free at last
I'd hate the experience too if I had to deal members of the media, like him, on a consistent basis.
Last edited by Lesson on August 6 14, 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden

Post by slide_into_first »

Sportswriting? Sportswriting? I'm just trying to get some answers.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Lesson wrote:Shaughnessy is an absolute joke. I've read a few of his articles over the years, and it's the same [expletive] every damn time. Bernie at least is able to occasionally add an interesting perspective or opinion, Shaughnessy doesn't. He's not able to objective at all with his opinions. For the most part, he hasn't really bashed the Red Sox FO for 2011-on. He's blamed the players. Part of that might be due to Henry now owning the Globe.

Additionally:
Dan Shaughnessy @Dan_Shaughnessy · 16h

You could feel John Lackey's hatred for the "Boston Baseball Experience,'' in his reluctant session with Hub media today. Free at last
I'd hate the experience too if I had to deal members of the media, like him, on a consistent basis.
Kind of seems like Shaughnessy is part of the Boston Baseball Experience and obviously the Hub media. The phrase that springs to mind is self-fulfilling prophecy. That's not apt, but it's akin to that.