GDT 8/14/14-Padres (Stults) @ Cardinals (Lackey) 7:15 CDT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: GDT 8/14/14-Padres (Stults) @ Cardinals (Lackey) 7:15 CD

Post by ghostrunner »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:Peralta's been exactly what I expected/hoped for as a hitter. He's been way better than I expected defensively. It would be awesome to have that same guy (more or less) for the next few years.
Agreed. Given our recent history, it's hard to believe shortstop is one of the positions on this team we don't have to worry about on a day-to-day basis.
I think 2B is the same. Which is also weird, considering the history.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

ghostrunner wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:Peralta's been exactly what I expected/hoped for as a hitter. He's been way better than I expected defensively. It would be awesome to have that same guy (more or less) for the next few years.
Agreed. Given our recent history, it's hard to believe shortstop is one of the positions on this team we don't have to worry about on a day-to-day basis.
I think 2B is the same. Which is also weird, considering the history.
2B has always been a position of flux for us, going back at least to 1988, Tommy Herr's last year with us. Oquendo gave us some stability, as did Vina, but they both kept getting hurt.

SS was a little better, especially during the Renteria years, but since then - you're right. When David Eckstein is the best of the bunch since 2004, you know you've got problems.

Of course, I remember when we had trouble filling CF for several years after Curt Flood was traded - Jose Cardenal, Jose Cruz, Willie Davis, Tony Scott, Luis Melendez, and several others - the only one of which who did well was Bake McBride, who also got hurt one year and then was traded away during the Vern Rapp era. We didn't really stabilize in CF until McGee (1982-90), Lankford (1991-99), and Edmonds (2000-2007), and now we're going through another phase of trying to find one main guy to put out there, going through Ankiel, Rasmus, Jay, and Bourjos.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Did Davidson ever explain what the hell he was doing?

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

Davidson was trying to figure out a way to call a balk.