2014 Postseason Roster discussion

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Re: 2014 Postseason Roster discussion

Post by Vidor »

You know that old joke about how sabermetricians don't watch baseball games, and how all the sabermetricians would get all huffy about that?

It seems that Rob Neyer and FOX Sports are working towards a future in which one's sabermetric experience doesn't have to be spoiled by actually looking at the large men swinging wooden sticks at balls.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/ ... -the-nlcs/

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

I love it. All games should be double broadcast this way. That way, they can get rid off all those pink ponies on my broadcast and put them on that other one. I hate that - it's like watching a video game and it can really be distracting at a minimum, and in some cases there is just so much crap on the screen it blocks something out I want to see. TBS had these little shadow circles for positioning of the infielders labeled. I can see where they are, and I know which was in the SS and the 2B. I don't need that on the screen.

Vidor

Post by Vidor »

jim wrote:I love it. All games should be double broadcast this way. That way, they can get rid off all those pink ponies on my broadcast and put them on that other one. I hate that - it's like watching a video game and it can really be distracting at a minimum, and in some cases there is just so much crap on the screen it blocks something out I want to see. TBS had these little shadow circles for positioning of the infielders labeled. I can see where they are, and I know which was in the SS and the 2B. I don't need that on the screen.
I don't know what a pink pony is (in this context anyway), and those little TBS position circles are asinine.

But honestly, this idea just reinforces every negative stereotype about sabermetricians. Let's squeeze the actual game action into a smaller window so we can watch Rob Neyer show people his graphs.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Pink pony - Something glitzy but useless. We use that term at work and I thought it was more widely known.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

jim wrote:Pink pony - Something glitzy but useless. We use that term at work and I thought it was more widely known.

Vidor

Post by Vidor »

jim wrote:Pink pony - Something glitzy but useless. We use that term at work and I thought it was more widely known.
Oh it might be, just not by me.

Anyway, yeah, the little circles showing where the shortstop is are f*****g stupid.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Vidor wrote:You know that old joke about how sabermetricians don't watch baseball games, and how all the sabermetricians would get all huffy about that?

It seems that Rob Neyer and FOX Sports are working towards a future in which one's sabermetric experience doesn't have to be spoiled by actually looking at the large men swinging wooden sticks at balls.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/ ... -the-nlcs/
The article says "double box".....game on one side, analysts on the other.

Similar to the format of college football championship game and NCAA 4.

Vidor

Post by Vidor »

dmarx114 wrote:The article says "double box".....game on one side, analysts on the other.

Similar to the format of college football championship game and NCAA 4.
I don't recall college football or the final 4 routinely giving half the screen to analysts while the game action goes on. They show the game action while analysts talk, and during breaks in action they sometimes cut away.

Anyway, this is only a secondary broadcast, thank God. Doesn't seem likely there are enough people at Dave Cameron's house to support it--honestly, are there really even that many sabermetricians that want their game picture shrunk in half so they can watch Rob Neyer and Dave Cameron geek out over LD% graphs?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Matt Holliday (flu) told reporters Thursday that he feels "much better, really good."
Holliday battled flu-like symptoms during the Cardinals' final regular-season series in Arizona, but the veteran outfielder is now back to full strength after several days of rest. He'll start in left field and bat third for St. Louis in NLDS Game 1 on Friday at Dodger Stadium.
Source: Cardinals.mlb.com
Oct 2 - 3:26 PM

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

BSOHL??????