GDT 10/4/14-Cardinals (Lynn) @ Dodgers (Greinke) 8:37 CDT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Re: GDT 10/4/14-Cardinals (Lynn) @ Dodgers (Greinke) 8:37 CD

Post by pioneer98 »

I'm not upset with this game. They were right in it until the end, nearly pushed them to th brink.

That being said, the winner of game 3 is probably going to win the series. I feel like the Cards have to win the next 2 to advance, where the Dodgers can hope for a split and a game 5 at home.

Pudgelewis
Perennial All-Star

Post by Pudgelewis »

pioneer98 wrote:
Pudgelewis wrote:At the time it didn't bother me so much because we had just tied it, but that JP DP is pretty disappointing now. Really had a chance to maybe bury them with even just a single and couldn't get it done.

Hard to be upset being 1-1 going home.
Bernie pointed out the Cards went 0 for 8 with RISP. That won't get it done...
Yep. I always felt pretty lucky we even tied it up.

Pudgelewis
Perennial All-Star

Post by Pudgelewis »

pioneer98 wrote:I'm not upset with this game. They were right in it until the end, nearly pushed them to th brink.

That being said, the winner of game 3 is probably going to win the series. I feel like the Cards have to win the next 2 to advance, where the Dodgers can hope for a split and a game 5 at home.
I think I've about decided expecting anything is futile.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Couldn't hear in the bar. What did Greinke do after the ghost tag, continue on to second base? If not, I thought you were out for abandoning the field.

Oh well.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Pudgelewis wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:I'm not upset with this game. They were right in it until the end, nearly pushed them to th brink.

I'm always confused why people think they know how a series is going to go.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

lukethedrifter wrote:Couldn't hear in the bar. What did Greinke do after the ghost tag, continue on to second base? If not, I thought you were out for abandoning the field.

Oh well.
They never showed a definitive replay and the announcers never brought it up.

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

lukethedrifter wrote:Couldn't hear in the bar. What did Greinke do after the ghost tag, continue on to second base? If not, I thought you were out for abandoning the field.

Oh well.
It also seemed like the question of him leaving the base path should've at least been raised, but the announcers never mentioned it. Could Matheny have challenged Greinke going out of the basepath after the other challenge proved there was no tag?

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Pudgelewis wrote:

I'm always confused why people think they know how a series is going to go.
++++++
Especially one this evenly matched. This is freakin' baseball - failure happens more often than success. Even the best go close to hitless more days than not. If you can't stand that, go watch the NFL.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

dmarx114 wrote:

Oh well.
They never showed a definitive replay and the announcers never brought it up.
Shannon and Rooney were all over it. They wondered why he wasn't out for giving up and I agree.

If replay is here to stay, the league has to start treating these questionable plays like obstruction calls. Play continues until there is a dead ball. Then it all gets sorted out. Tell the umpires and the teams: Review is Like Obstruction.

But now that I think deeper - its like obstruction except the foul is called by the player/manager and not the umps. So instead of an ump pointing and yelling 'That's obstruction' and then letting the play go, you'd have players pointing and yelling 'That's [expletive]' and then playing on.

Jesus, that's just chaos isn't it?
Last edited by Joe Shlabotnik on October 5 14, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pudgelewis
Perennial All-Star

Post by Pudgelewis »

Donnie Ebert wrote:

Oh well.
It also seemed like the question of him leaving the base path should've at least been raised, but the announcers never mentioned it. Could Matheny have challenged Greinke going out of the basepath after the other challenge proved there was no tag?
ooh. Challenge the challenge. I like the way you think.