Time to move Neshek out of the 8th inning spot?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Re: Time to move Neshek out of the 8th inning spot?

Post by Jmodene »

This presupposes, of course, that the 8th inning is no different from the 9th inning.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

HardcoreCardsFan wrote:He may know more than we do, but it seems to just boil down to common sense. Rosenthal has struggled all year, while Neshek has thrived. You want the more clutch person to be in the 9th inning, and hopefully reduce the number of St. Louis emergency room visits.
Not necessarily. You want your best reliever used in your highest leverage situations, I'd rather have us drop the idea of a closer entirely and just use the best pitcher when needed.

greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Post by greenback44 »

Can anybody actually identify the Cardinals' best reliever with a p-value of less than 0.99?

ETA: I'm not entirely joking about Wainwright closing. None of these guys is Jeff Fassero, but none of these guys vaguely resembles a lock-down closer.

hoerr
Single A Minor League Player

Post by hoerr »

As of tonight, I officially need - NEED - Neshek in the 9th. I'm on blood pressure meds as it is. Rosenthal has given me too many near heart attacks this season, let alone the Post Season. We don't have a shut-down closer, but we don't need a guaranteed-2.5-walks closer any longer. UGH!

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

What's Rosenthal's postseason WHIP now? At the very least, at least it will be someone else waterboarding me in the 9th from here on out.

I mean... it will be, right? Even Matheny's not that Matheny, is he?

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Neshek should be the guy for high leverage situations, middle of the order, whatever. 8th or 9th. He's got his own flaws, but walking 2 guys an inning ain't one of them.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

hoerr wrote:As of tonight, I officially need - NEED - Neshek in the 9th. I'm on blood pressure meds as it is. Rosenthal has given me too many near heart attacks this season, let alone the Post Season. We don't have a shut-down closer, but we don't need a guaranteed-2.5-walks closer any longer. UGH!
So you can hate him too?

All closers are hated. Pick a guy you want to hate. All closers are hated. Each team hates their closer.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

I would love to just match up. But that seems really doubtful with our manager.

hoerr
Single A Minor League Player

Post by hoerr »

ghostrunner wrote:Neshek should be the guy for high leverage situations, middle of the order, whatever. 8th or 9th. He's got his own flaws, but walking 2 guys an inning ain't one of them.
^^^^ This board needs a "like post" feature. Come on phpBB!
Last edited by hoerr on October 12 14, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

God I hope Rosenthal does not get the 9th any more, and if he does, it's when they are up by 6...No, make that 8.

We have enough decent bullpen arms left to just play the best pitcher for the situation. We also need to be mindful that Panda is not a great hitter from the right side. Turn him around with one of our lefties in a key situation. You still have Neshek, CMart, Maness, Marco, and hello, Wacha. You have plenty of options as the situation dictates. I think I'd have rather had Feeman instead of Choate, but it is what it is.