GDT 10/12/14-Giants (Peavy) @ Cardinals (Lynn) 7:07 CDT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Re: GDT 10/12/14-Giants (Peavy) @ Cardinals (Lynn) 7:07 CDT

Post by Diddy »

cardinalkarp wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Has it been mentioned that Rosy's 3rd pitch (on an 0-2) count was a strike. The way Cruz caught it and/or being an 0-2 count likely led to it being called a ball. But, a correct call there, and the game is over.
I was yelling at Cruz through the tv screen to catch the damn ball like you've done it before. He looked like a deer in headlights out there. If he can't stop stabbing at balls that are pretty damn close to being a strike & pretty much guaranteeing the ump calls it a ball you can't put him back out there. There was at least 3 or 4 pitches it happened on, it was BAD.
May have already been discussed I haven't read the last 20 pages. Is it just a case of not being ready to come into the game or is the stage to big for him? Assuming Lackey is more comfortable with AJ I think I'd start him in game 3. I do feel pretty good going into game 3 with Lackey on the bump.

Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star

Post by Felix The Cat »

Vidor wrote:Hardball Talk thinks we're still underdogs.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/ ... cs-game-2/
Considering we no longer have HFA and may have lost our most important position player, I agree we're underdogs in this series. And that's before factoring in the status of Wainwright.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

In the playoffs we have now hit 10.5% of the total homers we hit in the regular season in only 4% as many games.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Fat_Bulldog's blood will be boiling after he sees that

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Pudgelewis wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Game time decision...we are heading to the game. Only in St louis can you pick up on moments notice and take in playoff baseball at 28 per ticket. Go Cards.
What's your record?

Either way, enjoy it.

Little Freedette was really excited to break the spell this season. She endured the game where Cubs beat Cards 17 to 5.
And the game on May 18 where Braves tried to give a win to the Cards but Cards refused to allow it.

Last night was probably her 4th playoff game in 11years. I've probably been to 8 or so. If it weren't relatively affordable, I (cheapskate) wouldn't be doing it. I was thinking about this when hearing how some guy spent a fortune on tix and travel for him and a kid to watch Jeter's last Yankee Stadium game. We have it good.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Sergio Romo Made a New Mistake

by Jeff Sullivan - October 13, 2014
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/sergio-r ... w-mistake/

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

Jocephus wrote:
The Math on Letting Lance Lynn Hit

by Dave Cameron - October 13, 2014
Bottom line? Letting a pitcher hit with the bases loaded in a playoff game is almost never going to be a good idea. The best way to preserve a 2-0 lead is to make it a 3-0, 4-0, 5-0, or 6-0 lead, and managers put too much emphasis on trying to preserve small leads rather than being aggressive in situations that could make them much larger. Sending Taveras up to hit for Lynn would have likely improved the Cardinals chances of winning the game. But the team’s bullpen usage the day before was a legitimate extenuating factor, and Taveras was available to pinch-hit for the pitcher later in the game, so the gap is not as large as the simple run expectancy calculations might suggest.

Still, though, if that scenario comes up again, pinch-hitting is probably the better call. You’re better off protecting a bigger lead with even overworked relievers than you are trying to protect a small lead with a tiring starter.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-math ... -lynn-hit/
so vindicated right now. Feels good man.

i'll stop now

Pudgelewis
Perennial All-Star

Post by Pudgelewis »

Freed Roger wrote:
Pudgelewis wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Game time decision...we are heading to the game. Only in St louis can you pick up on moments notice and take in playoff baseball at 28 per ticket. Go Cards.
What's your record?

Either way, enjoy it.

Little Freedette was really excited to break the spell this season. She endured the game where Cubs beat Cards 17 to 5.
And the game on May 18 where Braves tried to give a win to the Cards but Cards refused to allow it.

Last night was probably her 4th playoff game in 11years. I've probably been to 8 or so. If it weren't relatively affordable, I (cheapskate) wouldn't be doing it. I was thinking about this when hearing how some guy spent a fortune on tix and travel for him and a kid to watch Jeter's last Yankee Stadium game. We have it good.
Glad it was worth it. That 17-5 Cubs game would make me gunshy. I've been pretty lucky in playoff games I've attended with just one loss in 5 games, but spending a ton on tickets and getting there makes me nervous when I know how upset a crappy game can make me. Living nearby and getting a deal would make it much easier.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Trevor Rosenthal and the Catchers: A Mostly Pointless Exercise

There exists a line of thought that, had Yadier Molina still been catching, that pitch wouldn’t have gotten away. By the numbers we’ve got, relative to Cruz, Molina is the far superior pitch-blocker, which shouldn’t come as a surprise since Molina is terrific across the board. I agree that Molina is better than Cruz at this, but to be honest I think this might’ve gotten away from anybody. The pitch was 99 miles per hour, and it bounced, and Rosenthal had never before in the major leagues thrown a fastball so low. This pitch was almost destined for the backstop. Maybe with Molina, the runner doesn’t actually score, but that’s a tough block for anyone.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagra ... -exercise/

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Jocephus wrote:
Trevor Rosenthal and the Catchers: A Mostly Pointless Exercise

There exists a line of thought that, had Yadier Molina still been catching, that pitch wouldn’t have gotten away. By the numbers we’ve got, relative to Cruz, Molina is the far superior pitch-blocker, which shouldn’t come as a surprise since Molina is terrific across the board. I agree that Molina is better than Cruz at this, but to be honest I think this might’ve gotten away from anybody. The pitch was 99 miles per hour, and it bounced, and Rosenthal had never before in the major leagues thrown a fastball so low. This pitch was almost destined for the backstop. Maybe with Molina, the runner doesn’t actually score, but that’s a tough block for anyone.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagra ... -exercise/
Eh, I don't know about that. Cruz didn't even go to his knees and try to block it, just gave it a backhand swipe. OTOH, I've see Yadi do the same thing, but it was just a regular season game.