Joe Maddon leaving the rays

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Re: Joe Maddon leaving the rays

Post by Hoot45 »

ghostrunner wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:Theo was livid about the Cards getting more competitive balance picks this year. He literally threw a tantrum.
He suggested the system was flawed. Not even close to a tantrum.
You're obviously remembering it wrong. He walked out to Ashland and thrashed around in a urine-soaked curb while flooding the street with tears.

Cheddar Tom
Perennial All-Star

Post by Cheddar Tom »

Does Maddon do anything special that separates him from almost any other manager?

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Hoot45 wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:Theo was livid about the Cards getting more competitive balance picks this year. He literally threw a tantrum.
You're obviously remembering it wrong. He walked out to Ashland and thrashed around in a urine-soaked curb while flooding the street with tears.
Urine-soaked curb? That was one of the urine troughs at Wrigley Field.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Everything is urine-soaked in Wrigleyville, so sometimes it is hard to know what you're looking at.

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

Cheddar Tom wrote:Does Maddon do anything special that separates him from almost any other manager?
Lots of sac bunts, IIRC.

Cheddar Tom
Perennial All-Star

Post by Cheddar Tom »

Vidor wrote:
Cheddar Tom wrote:Does Maddon do anything special that separates him from almost any other manager?
Lots of sac bunts, IIRC.
That's boring...feels like Maddon's strengths are just about the same as Matheny's.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

He wears trendy hipster glasses.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Hoot45 wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:
I retract my statement.

I kind of wanted to get Maddon just so I could hear people complain about him.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:I know nothing of how those picks work, but maybe it has to do with Chicago being the only large market team in the NLC?
Someone should ask Joe Morgan.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

These were his quotes:
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/ ... draft-pick
"They do extremely well from a baseball standpoint and from a revenue standpoint," the Chicago Cubs' president of baseball operations said Wednesday. "It's probably the last organization in baseball that needs that kind of annual gift that they receive."
"It's not necessarily the type of thing [the Cardinals] need, given their performance on the field and off the field," Epstein said. "They do a fantastic job, and it just doesn't seem like something they need at this point."
"I could talk all day about the Cardinals and how we hold them in high regard," Epstein said. "That's a fantastic franchise. They have been for the better part of a century."

But Epstein remained confident that the rebuilding Cubs, who boast one of baseball's top farm systems, are closing the gap in their rivalry with the Cardinals.

"It'll just make it that much sweeter when we get to a point where we can compete with them and ultimately, we hope, prevail," he said.