Oscar Taveras: June 18, 1992 - October 26, 2014

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
go birds
-go birds

Re: Oscar Taveras: June 18, 1992 - October 26, 2014

Post by go birds »

really hate to hear this.

but also kind of weird to that Cmart was trying to be the voice reason.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

go birds wrote:but also kind of weird to that Cmart was trying to be the voice reason.
Somehow Carlos ends up sounding like a very reasonable and stable human being. That might be the most shocking thing about this whole tragedy.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

I agree to an extent. Regardless of his twitter faux pas, there's no reason to believe Carlos doesn't have something betwixt his ears.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

It's sad. It changes the way I feel about OT. I mean wreckless driving sucks and is stupid but I'm not one to criticize that. Put alcohol in the mix though and my feelings change quite a bit.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Most people don't die as a result of the stupid [expletive] they do.

It's stupid and it's a shame and it shouldn't have happened.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

I assumed alcohol was a factor from the beginning, so this doesn't really change how I feel. I was doing the same [expletive] when I was his age, minus the "getting on a highway and going really fast" part. That part is hard to understand.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

When I was that age, I rode with people who drank too much (and served as a designated driver on more than one occasion).

A tragedy's a tragedy, and I still feel badly for the families of the Taveras and his girlfriend, even realizing that nobody should get behind the wheel at that level of intoxication.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Yeah, I already assumed he was doing something he shouldn't have been doing. At a minimum I thought he was driving way too fast, and I never ruled out in my own head that there could have been drugs or alcohol involved. It doesn't change anything. It's still sad he made such a bad choice that resulted in tragedy, whatever that choice happened to be.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

I bought into the whole "DR has way too narrow roads, infrastructure is bad, etc" until I read the interview with Martinez. He totally knew and then, I knew.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Matheny reflects on turbulent times
In the 24 hours following Taveras’ death, Matheny reached out to every member of the 40-man roster. He has remained in touch with some players, and he said he has used a network of players to keep up with everyone. Last week, Mozeliak mentioned how Matheny’s “strength” helped the team mourn. Matheny made his second trip since Taveras’ accident to the Dominican Republic last week. This trip was a previously scheduled one with youth players. He had pitcher Carlos Martinez, the teammate closest to Taveras, talk to the young team from St. Louis. Matheny has kept in weekly contact with Martinez by phone, and he spent some time with the righthander last week in the Dominican just to assure him he had — and here’s that word again — “a family” of teammates he could count on.