Jack Buck and Darryl Kile

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Re: Jack Buck and Darryl Kile

Post by Spider John »

For Kile , the game was on Fox's game of the week, but I was outside working so I turned the game on the radio. Shannon said something about a delay being caused by a tragedy in the Cardinal family, so I went inside to watch, and be blown away by the news.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

dmarx114 wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:I hesitate to say which one was "worse" because they are both so sad. I think they are just "different". Kile I did not ever personally meet and I only really followed his career closely the 2 1/2 season he was with the Cardinals. I did get to meet Oscar twice, briefly, and had already been following his career for 4 seasons. So Oscar's death is hitting me personally a lot harder. One was a kid whose parents have to bury him and the other one had a wife and young kids who won't know their dad. They're both just terrible in different ways.
Agreed. Well said. I do agree with Jim in that it is frustrating to be unable to see what Taveras could have become, while we knew who DK was. I understand what he means there. So from a pure baseball standpoint, I think OT's death is more painful.

And while it's unbelievably heart breaking for a parent to bury their 22 year old son, I cannot imagine how Kile's wife told her twin 5 year olds that they will never see their father again. That's on a level that is so incomprehensible. It's tough for me to even type that out. Maybe I am biased because my daughter is turning 5 in a couple months and I am a year older now than DK was when he died. But the kids losing their dad is so tough to think about. So I guess from a life standpoint, I felt worse about DK's death.
My wife's father passed away when she was 9, so I know the scars that leaves. But to me it's all abstract, it's all sad. The school kids in Seattle, a young parent, Oscar Taveras. What separates these, makes them less abstract, is baseball. I mourn more for what could have been, an artist who just picked his brush up and put the first strokes on the canvas. That affects me directly, unlike the school kids in Seattle, because his brand of art moves me. It's part of my life's core, of what makes life enjoyable for me. And it's gone, and we'll never know what it could have been.

That's what makes me so sad - the baseball that will never be. It's not shallow or superficial, it's real to me and many others. Had he not been the player he was, he could have died in that wreck and if any of us heard the story we would have thought it was sad for a moment until we were distracted. We are moved because he was a ballplayer, one that we all appreciated, and one that we hoped would be so much more.

I'm just rambling now but I'm really bothered by this.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Grichuk will be a solid starting RF next year but he doesn't have the potential of being a middle of the order type guy like Taveras did. Plus now the Cardinals will probably have to keep Bourjos so can't plug another hole by dealing him.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Grichuk will be a solid starting RF next year but he doesn't have the potential of being a middle of the order type guy like Taveras did. Plus now the Cardinals will probably have to keep Bourjos so can't plug another hole by dealing him.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

JoeMcKim wrote:Grichuk will be a solid starting RF next year but he doesn't have the potential of being a middle of the order type guy like Taveras did. Plus now the Cardinals will probably have to keep Bourjos so can't plug another hole by dealing him.
It also opens the possibility of Piscotty, although it probably scotches any chance of our getting Stanton.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

I was actually in the same place when I heard about Jack as I was with Oscar, at my grandparents' house in Michigan; pretty bizarre coincidence. We were in a different part of Michigan for my cousin's wedding when I heard about Kile (on the car radio on the way to my cousin's wedding, actually).

Several major Cardinals events have happened while I was visiting family in Michigan, actually, including the McGwire and Larry Walker trades.