Cardinals Exercise John Lackey's Option

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Cardinals Exercise John Lackey's Option

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

For $500k.
Cardinals exercised RHP John Lackey's $500,000 club option for 2015.
The MLB-minimum option was added to Lackey's five-year, $82.5 million contract with the Red Sox after he underwent Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery in October 2011, and Lackey told the Cardinals this summer that he fully intends to honor it. Lackey turned 36 years old last week and wasn't exactly dominant after the trade that sent him from Boston to St. Louis, but it's obviously still a heck of a bargain.
No brainer. I wonder if they'll sign him to an extension that compensates him a little more for this season.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Cardinals Exercise John Lackey's Option

Post by heyzeus »

I wouldn't be surprised if we do a 2 year deal for mo' money. But not a ton.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

heyzeus wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if we do a 2 year deal for mo' money. But not a ton.
++

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I'd like to exercise my option.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

He has 82.5 million in the bank, how is he going to get by only making 500K a year? He's got a wife and kids to support after all.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Neshek, Motte, Masterson, Ellis, and AJP are all free men now. The Cardinals didn't make a QO to any of them. And hey, good news, Ty Wigginton is finally off the books! We're no longer paying him to not play baseball so a bit more money frees up there too. With those six off the books and Lackey back on the cheap a decent chunk of change has been freed up.

(Is there a better thread for me to discuss offseason moves?)

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

Wiggington may be gone but the scar clearly remains. Mo won't be burned by putting anyone you could almost sort of have any level of expectations for whatsoever on our bench again.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing man that Mark Ellis and Ty Wigginton existed.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

MrSaigon wrote:Wiggington may be gone but the scar clearly remains. Mo won't be burned by putting anyone you could almost sort of have any level of expectations for whatsoever on our bench again.
He did the same thing this past year with Ellis.

I did not think that Wigginton was a good signing. Ellis was a good signing though. Despite blowing money on Wiggy, Mo got right back on the horse to get another aging infielder. Sometimes good moves don't work out.

Hopefully he won't be gun shy now because this club really needs a quality back up MI or UT.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

I'd honestly be disappointed if they signed Lackey to an extension. There were two things to like about the deal with the Sox. 1) Getting rid of Craig's contract. 2) Getting Lackey's contract. Let's not mess one of those up by extending him.

If the season goes on and a pitcher or two are lost for a season, then fine, talk about it then. Otherwise, play this year out. I'm perfectly okay with the rotation being Wanwright, Wacha, Lynn and Miller heading into 2016 with numerous possibilities for that fifth spot.