What's the call?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: What's the call?

Post by GeddyWrox »

If he's out due to interference, why wouldn't they call it immediately? The play continues on, and they don't call him out until he's walking back to the base. I think they tag him or touch the base when the camera is pointed elsewhere. I think he's called out because they say he never touched the base.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

They definitely called him out for running outside of the running lane. I'm pretty sure that's the HP umpires call now that I think about it, and while the play continued you can see the home plate ump walking down the line with his mask off. We can't see when he called it, but he could have called it immediately and nobody saw it so the play just continued on.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

The ball hit the batter/runner, right, on the return throw to 1st? Seems like the right call if that is the case and it hit him in fair territory....no?

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

jim wrote:They definitely called him out for running outside of the running lane. I'm pretty sure that's the HP umpires call now that I think about it, and while the play continued you can see the home plate ump walking down the line with his mask off. We can't see when he called it, but he could have called it immediately and nobody saw it so the play just continued on.
You're right (of course! :D ). I didn't notice the ump coming up the line. He had totally abandoned home plate. He was stopping the play. You da man!

New Pagodi
Perennial All-Star

Post by New Pagodi »

jim wrote:It's a tough call, but I think the ump has some justification in making it. 60/40 he made the right call.
Yeah. If I was the first base ump/home plate ump (who makes the call there?) I'm not sure I would have called the runner out. But it's so close it's hard to complain about the call that was made.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

New Pagodi wrote:
jim wrote:It's a tough call, but I think the ump has some justification in making it. 60/40 he made the right call.
Yeah. If I was the first base ump/home plate ump (who makes the call there?) I'm not sure I would have called the runner out. But it's so close it's hard to complain about the call that was made.
Has to be the home plate ump, because the 1B ump is kind of preoccupied making that pesky safe/out call.

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

彼が出ていたと私は誰も知らないんので、好きなことを言うことができるか、この手段

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Secret Weapon wrote:彼が出ていたと私は誰も知らないんので、好きなことを言うことができるか、この手段
:toast:

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

I would have ruled the batter out, because he wasn't in the running lane and the return throw made contact with him.

To be clear, his last step before getting hit was on the inside line of the basepath, but every other step was in the field of play and not anywhere close to the running lane.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Runners are rarely in the running lane because the base is in fair territory and the running lane is not. It is impossible for the runner to avoid being in fair territory as he steps on first. I hate this call and it happens a lot.