GM Winter meetings 2014

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

GM Winter meetings 2014

Post by Jocephus »

2015 Free Agent Predictions

by Dave Cameron - November 7, 2014

The GM meetings kick off in Phoenix next week, and while that gathering is generally more a time to lay groundwork than to get deals done, don’t be surprised if we see the first few free agents go off the board while everyone is gathered in one place. So, before things start happening, let’s have a little fun, and see how good I am at prognosticating both where the primary free agents will sign, and how much they’ll get on the open market.

For the purpose of this exercise, I’m going to project the same 55 players that you guys crowdsourced. This means that I’m skipping all the international free agents, but realistically, I don’t think I know enough about those guys to make educated guesses anyway. So, domestic free agents only. We’ll go team by team, and then I’ll list the whole table of my picks at the bottom. And yes, they’re probably going to be hilariously wrong. Predicting what other people are going to choose to do is not easy! Off we go, and we’ll do it by division.
St. Louis Cardinals

This is a good roster without too many holes, but they could use a shutdown relief ace, and one just happens to be available. Andrew Miller at 4/$36M might seem steep for a team that generally develops its own relievers, but their window is starting to close, and they need to make their 2015 team as strong as they can.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2015-fre ... edictions/

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: GM Winter meetings 2014

Post by ghostrunner »

I don't see any reason to think we have a window, or that it's closing.

letsgocards89
Perennial All-Star

Post by letsgocards89 »

Mozeliak describes his Phoenix schedule as “aggressive.” Last year’s meeting led to the significant, controversial signing of free agent shortstop Jhonny Peralta before Thanksgiving.
via STLTODAY

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

If we weren't so inept at scoring runs we wouldn't have such an extreme need for a shutdown reliever. If nothing on the offense changes, I agree the bullpen really needs help. But if we do find a significant improvement on offense we should be slightly less dependent on a bullpen that is given no room for error night after night.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

ghostrunner wrote:I don't see any reason to think we have a window, or that it's closing.
They have to keep turning out useful talent from the minors, especially position players. Wacha/Miller/Lynn are 23/24/28, that's great. But the only position players returning next year who were regulars in 2014 and are under 29 in 2015 are Wong and Adams. They had a good core last year, but there are a few players on the roster who are decline/crash candidates next season.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

33anda3rd wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:I don't see any reason to think we have a window, or that it's closing.
They have to keep turning out useful talent from the minors, especially position players. Wacha/Miller/Lynn are 23/24/28, that's great. But the only position players returning next year who were regulars in 2014 and are under 29 in 2015 are Wong and Adams. They had a good core last year, but there are a few players on the roster who are decline/crash candidates next season.
Which is where the loss of Taveras really hurts. His progression could have really helped offset the expected decline of a lot of the other guys. They needed another bat, but they could have really counted on OT and if he panned out they'd have been alright without acquiring one. Now, there's no two ways about it. They need another big, middle of the order bat.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Which is where the loss of Taveras really hurts. His progression could have really helped offset the expected decline of a lot of the other guys. They needed another bat, but they could have really counted on OT and if he panned out they'd have been alright without acquiring one. Now, there's no two ways about it. They need another big, middle of the order bat.
All of this is true but the Cardinals are going to have resources available down the road that they don't now. Meaning contracts will end, more drafts will happen, etc. The day when Yadi, Holliday and Waino are done is coming but they have time to find core players to replace them. It will be a challenge and they could screw it up, for sure. But it's not impossible. They've navigated this kind of thing before.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Good times. Let the Hot Stove get.. HOT!

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

33anda3rd wrote:
I guess if he team was run like the Phillies and it was 2008 I'd call that a window. We've got what, 3-4 players left from the 2011 World Series team? Mo's been adding and subtracting pretty successfully ever since he started.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

The Cardinals will never not be good. At least in the near future/under Mo. I don't see it.