Change a rule, any rule

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Re: Change a rule, any rule

Post by Vidor »

On the other hand, Joe McCarthy was wearing a uniform as manager of the Yankees in the 1930s.

Of course, in ye olden days most of the managers were players on the roster, which is probably where the custom originated.

Kincaid
Veteran Player

Post by Kincaid »

I think managers have pretty much always worn uniforms. Like Vidor said, if you go back far enough, at some point almost every team was managed by a player-manager/playing captain, so they would have been wearing uniforms anyway. Once that tradition was established, I don't think there was ever a point when managers by and large didn't wear team uniforms in the Majors. Connie Mack was an exception even in his day.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

I like managers wearing a uniform, even if they look ridiculous sometimes.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

The really fat ones, like most pitching coaches, wear windbreakers over the unis anyway. I've never seen Lilliquist without one. Have no idea what number he has.

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

Radbird wrote:The really fat ones, like most pitching coaches, wear windbreakers over the unis anyway. I've never seen Lilliquist without one. Have no idea what number he has.
I feel this strengthens my point, on the no need for uni's for the managers/coaches.

jim

Post by jim »

On MLB Baseball Tonight they have a "What one rule would you change if you were commish for a day".

slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden

Post by slide_into_first »

After a hit by pitch, the pitcher must pitch to the next batter using his other arm.

jim

Post by jim »

slide_into_first wrote:After a hit by pitch, the pitcher must pitch to the next batter using his other arm.
Should modify my power play rule a bit - after an unintentional HBP you lose a player for 2 batters. If the next batter gets a hit, the fielder can return to the field early (exactly like a 2:00 power play where the goal is scored early). For intentional HBP - it's 5 batters and no early breaks.

All of a sudden Jon Jay becomes an All Star.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

st.lewis11 wrote:The the rule on the dropped 3rd strike is gone, what happens to the motivation in even trying to catch it? I say leave that one alone.

Yeah, someone brought this up a variaton of this in comment section in hardball sports re: new commish shift notion -

catcher has to catch the 3rd strike to complete the out -otherwise your catcher could just play rover whenever there's 2 strikes nobody on.

jim

Post by jim »

Freed Roger wrote:
st.lewis11 wrote:The the rule on the dropped 3rd strike is gone, what happens to the motivation in even trying to catch it? I say leave that one alone.

Yeah, someone brought this up a variaton of this in comment section in hardball sports re: new commish shift notion -

catcher has to catch the 3rd strike to complete the out -otherwise your catcher could just play rover whenever there's 2 strikes nobody on.
Rule says catcher has to be in the catchers box.