Where does Red rank in the "Mr. Cardinal" category?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Where does Red rank in the "Mr. Cardinal" category?

Post by jim »

The text quotes is subjective, I'm talking about more than just the numbers they put up. I'm talking about their importance to the organization in every facet - from OBA to charity golf outings to .. you know, just being a person you associate with the organization.

Red grew up near St. Louis, still lives in the area, was a great a player and a great manager and has been happy to help out in any way he can with the organization. The guy is still going to ST hitting fungos, giving advice, and in general helping in any way he can.

As someone who grew up in the post Musial days (I was technically born but do not recall him), I have to say that I associate the Cardinals more with Red than I do Musial. I actually remember very well Red managing the team, so I have that connection to him. Skipper number 1 in my fan life was Red.

So where do you put him? I think I put him #1.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: Where does Red rank in the "Mr. Cardinal" category?

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

jim wrote:The text quotes is subjective, I'm talking about more than just the numbers they put up. I'm talking about their importance to the organization in every facet - from OBA to charity golf outings to .. you know, just being a person you associate with the organization.

Red grew up near St. Louis, still lives in the area, was a great a player and a great manager and has been happy to help out in any way he can with the organization. The guy is still going to ST hitting fungos, giving advice, and in general helping in any way he can.

As someone who grew up in the post Musial days (I was technically born but do not recall him), I have to say that I associate the Cardinals more with Red than I do Musial. I actually remember very well Red managing the team, so I have that connection to him. Skipper number 1 in my fan life was Red.

Certainly #1 now with Gibby #2 and, Brock #3.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Definitely number 1 at this point.

On a personal note I've always liked Red. My Grandpa knew him pretty well and always had really great things to say about it so Red has always been a favorite of mine.
Last edited by IMADreamer on November 21 14, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
jim wrote:The text quotes is subjective, I'm talking about more than just the numbers they put up. I'm talking about their importance to the organization in every facet - from OBA to charity golf outings to .. you know, just being a person you associate with the organization.

Certainly #1 now with Gibby #2 and, Brock #3.
I don't think the conversation is limited to living people. I'd put Stan 1 and Red 2

jim

Post by jim »

Are you saying living? What if Musial were alive today? Think back to the last few years, would you have said Red then?

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

If we are talking all time it's still Stan.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Just wanted to make sure George Kissell is in the conversation.

And is this in the same vein as the Mt. Rushmore conversation from last offseason?

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

I assumed living. If you are including the dead its either Musial or Rickey. And I'd lean Musial.

jim

Post by jim »

I feel more of a real attachment to Red than to Stan. Stan is stories and riding around waving in parades. Red is managing, hitting fungos, being on the field in uniform while TLR picks his brain, and parades too. Stan is just more abstract.

To me.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Neither have been active players or managers in my lifetime.
I go:
1. Stan
2. Red