I guess it's confirmed the Cubs are gonna win the NL central

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

I guess it's confirmed the Cubs are gonna win the NL central

Post by Magneto2.0 »

I guess there's no use in the Cardinals playing this year

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/anthony- ... nl-central

The Cubs have talked a big game, but Anthony Rizzo took it to a new level with The Guarantee.

“We’re going to win the NL Central,” Rizzo said. “Quote me on that. We should be the team. With all due respect to every other team — they are just as good talent-wise — but we’re going to do some things this year.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: I guess it's confirmed the Cubs are gonna win the NL cen

Post by Socnorb11 »

That's the attitude that you want from your guys. I wouldn't want him to think otherwise if I were a Cubs fan.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Drum up excitement, it's that time of year. Plus they have a pretty decent team right now that is only going to get better. They have a bunch of young talented players that haven't figured out they are the Chicago Cubs yet.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Socnorb11 wrote:That's the attitude that you want from your guys. I wouldn't want him to think otherwise if I were a Cubs fan.
Thinking that privately and saying it publicly are two different things. All this does is put extra pressure on them through unrealistically high fan expectations.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Baseball is more fun when the Cards and Cubs both have good teams.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Hey go for it kid. The Cubs got another three months before they are out of the running.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Michael wrote:Baseball is more fun when the Cards have a good team

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

The cubs are gonna be good fellas....win the central good? prolly not, but they will be good.

We went 10-9 against them last year.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

go birds wrote:The cubs are gonna be good fellas....win the central good? prolly not, but they will be good.

We went 10-9 against them last year.
Define good.... Because I don't think they will be

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Steamer projects the Cubs to win 83 games(STL 87, PIT 86, MIL 77, CIN 76), so they're one of 3 teams with significant odds of winning the Central. We'll know more when ZiPS comes out for them next week(and when the Pirates come out), but they're still probably the highest variance team in the game in terms of projection.

That they project to win 83 games when Steamer is ignoring Bryant and projecting Lester+Arrieta for half as much value as last year is a reflection of the talent they've amassed, but by that same measure they have exactly 2 players projected to be > 2.5 fWAR because so much of that talent is unproven(all 4 hitting prospects, Hendricks) or has an inconsistent past(Arrieta, Castro, Hammel).

IMO, the most sneaky-good thing about the Cubs this year is in their pitching depth. Not all or even most of Wood, Jackson, Doubront, Wada, and Turner will be useful pitchers this year, but right now they only have one rotation spot for that group so the odds of the best 1-2 being quality 5th starter depth are pretty good. The back end of the bullpen is also quietly good, although I'm still not sure exactly what they're doing for LHP there.