I guess it's confirmed the Cubs are gonna win the NL central

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: I guess it's confirmed the Cubs are gonna win the NL cen

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Jmodene wrote:
carpetbagger wrote:
Jmodene wrote:Yes, with only one full season of minor-league ball.
Which is irrelevant. The kid's ready.
Maybe.

Gary Scott was supposed to be ready, too - and Colby Rasmus thought he was ready for the bigs before he'd ever played in AAA.

A key factor in all this will be how Bryant handles it. If he pouts like Colby did, it's all over for the kid.
Pick who is rasmus, scott, and bryant at age 22 in AAA:
251/346/391
295/471/619
208/286/307

Fans may have been calling for scott/rasmus too soon, but it's pretty clear with a simple glance that two of these aren't like the third.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

carpetbagger wrote:
Jmodene wrote: Maybe.

Gary Scott was supposed to be ready, too - and Colby Rasmus thought he was ready for the bigs before he'd ever played in AAA.

A key factor in all this will be how Bryant handles it. If he pouts like Colby did, it's all over for the kid.
That's silly. Gary Scott and Colby Rasmus have absolutely nothing to do with Kris Bryant.
Not silly at all. There is a right way and a wrong way to do things in baseball, as opposed to those other, lesser, sports. One year in the minors does not a superstar make. And while 43 homers in a minor-league season is impressive, there are enough questions about his defense, to say nothing of those 162 strikeouts, that suggest the kid is still a bit raw.

sneakypower
Fringe Major League Player

Post by sneakypower »

it's 9 games.

if he's so undeniably great to make an impactful difference during such a short duration, he'll carry the team to the postseason on the shoulders of his MVP performance

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

sneakypower wrote:it's 9 games.

if he's so undeniably great to make an impactful difference during such a short duration, he'll carry the team to the postseason on the shoulders of his unanimous MVP performance
Fixed it.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Jmodene wrote: Not silly at all. There is a right way and a wrong way to do things in baseball, as opposed to those other, lesser, sports. One year in the minors does not a superstar make. And while 43 homers in a minor-league season is impressive, there are enough questions about his defense, to say nothing of those 162 strikeouts, that suggest the kid is still a bit raw.
And those 20 or so games he's going to get in the minors before he's called up this year will improve that how?

Also, I don't think you've replied to the comments on your two prospect picks, Rasmus and Scott. Bryant's a much better player at the same level than they were, right? So he maybe ought to be treated differently, right?

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Isn't the point of the minors to produce the clubs with talented options at the major league level, not to hold guys for X years?

Bryant is their best option at 3B and likely their best option in LF. There's no reason, based on talent alone, for him to be in the minors. Do you agree with that?
He was one of the best 25 players available to them last year too, but they didn't call him up. I don't remember anyone throwing a fit about it.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Socnorb11 wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Isn't the point of the minors to produce the clubs with talented options at the major league level, not to hold guys for X years?

Bryant is their best option at 3B and likely their best option in LF. There's no reason, based on talent alone, for him to be in the minors. Do you agree with that?
He was one of the best 25 players available to them last year too, but they didn't call him up. I don't remember anyone throwing a fit about it.
Well, they were never in the picture for the playoffs and he was making his way through the minors (if you want to call it that, passing every level).

Now, he's made his way through the minors (clearly performed in line with a guy ready for the bigs) and the Cubs are trying to contend and make the playoffs.

Last year may have been easing him along (I don't know nor do I care) while this is clearly a move made with only the financial/business side (which is unfair to the guys like Bryant) in mind.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

It will be Cubtastic if they miss out on the Selig game because they started off the season 4-5 while Bryant hit bomb after bomb in the minors.

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

Guess this deserves a bump what with the promotion of Russell.