mariners to attempt a 6-man'er?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Re: mariners to attempt a 6-man'er?

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Four man is just too short of a turnaround. Double headers would be playing with fire. You would also have to stock your bullpin with more mediocre long man types rather than the better short outing relievers. Six man is a good way to get to a healthier last place finish. That's too long to go without your best guys out there. Five is just right.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

Doubleheader? I seem to recall hearing talk of some such thing back in the olden days...

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

cardsfansince82 wrote:Four man is just too short of a turnaround. Double headers would be playing with fire. You would also have to stock your bullpin with more mediocre long man types rather than the better short outing relievers. Six man is a good way to get to a healthier last place finish. That's too long to go without your best guys out there. Five is just right.
Times change. Four man used to be the norm.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

An occasional time through the rotation pitching every 4th day is alright but nowadays if you have to do multiple turns in the rotation like that you end up burning out the arms. Even the best pitchers can only pitch on 3 days rest occasionally in high pressure situations like where you need to win to make the playoffs. No point of over working your rotation in some random series against the Diamondbacks in May or whatever.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

JoeMcKim wrote:An occasional time through the rotation pitching every 4th day is alright but nowadays if you have to do multiple turns in the rotation like that you end up burning out the arms. Even the best pitchers can only pitch on 3 days rest occasionally in high pressure situations like where you need to win to make the playoffs. No point of over working your rotation in some random series against the Diamondbacks in May or whatever.
What I'm saying is it feels like a matter of time before more and more teams might try a 6 man rotation, or some modified version of it... Due to all the injuries.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

JoeMcKim wrote:An occasional time through the rotation pitching every 4th day is alright but nowadays if you have to do multiple turns in the rotation like that you end up burning out the arms. Even the best pitchers can only pitch on 3 days rest occasionally in high pressure situations like where you need to win to make the playoffs. No point of over working your rotation in some random series against the Diamondbacks in May or whatever.
Didn't Sabathia pitch on 3-days rest literally from the time the Brewers picked him up at the deadline until the playoffs?

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

MrSaigon wrote:I don't like the trend of pitchers getting more and more TJ surgeries.

Wainwright has a lower ERA, BAA, and WHIP on 6+ Days rest. But higher at 5, than his normal 4. Same is true for Lynn. Interesting. I guess we need to go to a 7-man.
Is TJ prevalence related to rest? What about the era when teams had 4-man rotations as standard?

Like I mentioned on page 1, there has been research on this.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

Pitchers are throwing harder on every pitch, thus heightening the risk of injury. The concept of "pacing yourself" is out the window. And with the potential for gazillions of dollars at stake, it ain't gonna change back.

But the fact is, there are limits to what the human body as capable of... so we're going to see more and more injuries.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
MrSaigon wrote:I don't like the trend of pitchers getting more and more TJ surgeries.

Wainwright has a lower ERA, BAA, and WHIP on 6+ Days rest. But higher at 5, than his normal 4. Same is true for Lynn. Interesting. I guess we need to go to a 7-man.
Is TJ prevalence related to rest? What about the era when teams had 4-man rotations as standard?

Like I mentioned on page 1, there has been research on this.
Honestly, I would sort of doubt it. It's not like TJs happen more often at the end of the year. Pitchers definitely burnout over the course of a season, though. Like Wainwright last year. Wouldn't mind some sort of precautionary measure with him, and others. Maybe a skipped start here and there would be more reasonable than a 6-man rotation.

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

There's a better correlation with pitches per inning than lack of rest, pitch counts, total innings etc. I don't agree with a 6 man rotation, I think it throws off their routine too much.

I've been a proponent of a periodic rest schedule, if a pitcher has twice in 10 days, if they were scheduled to throw a 3rd in 15 days, I would skip a start and have them throw a 75 pitch side session the day of their scheduled start I would do this with all 5 starters, skip 2 starts for each starter and it allows that swing starter a chance to keep fresh and monitor the usage.

Baseball needs to monitor P/IP moreso than pitch counts, it's a better indicator of higher stress levels than 120 pitches per game.